New and Old

Ahri, Evelynn, Akali, and Kai'sa; these were the names of the four girls currently sitting at your dining table.

Since the storm didn't show any signs of letting up and they had arrived a little after midnight, you mutually decided it would be best if they stayed here until daybreak. Thankfully one of the luxuries you sprung for was a king-sized bed that Ahri, Evelynn, and Kai'sa shared. Akali volunteered to sleep on the couch on the opposite side of you. You gave them some of your old clothes to wear and bid everyone a good night before quickly crashing out on the couch. By the time you woke up, Ahri had helped herself to the pantry and made a surprisingly lovely spread of eggs, french toast, and bacon.

Akali: You must have godly blood or something in you girl, this is divine. Would ya mind if I built a shrine? cause-

Evelynn: No rhyming before noon, Akali, that's the rule.

Evelynn sipped a bit from her coffee and nibbled on a strip of bacon. Kai'sa ate her food mostly plain and opted to go without the bacon or coffee. Ahri was partial to the eggs and bacon but didn't partake in the French toast. Akali coated everything in a thick layer of jelly and butter and then devoured the plate like a starved wolf.

You enjoyed a bit of everything and opted for orange juice instead of coffee this morning. . . and then immediately poured yourself a tall glass of espresso upon reflection. It was just necessary when dealing with Akali.

Y/N: So, have we reconsidered this insane course of action?

Ahri: Well, it's not as insane as you think. I do have my reasons for agreeing to this.

Y/N: Ha. I would very much like to hear them.

Ahri: I may need to catch you up first. You see, the manager I worked with over the last few years was not the greatest of people or a very good friend. Roy was focused on getting me to the top by any means necessary. He wanted branding deals, commercials, and safe music that anyone could listen to, the typical radio stuff. No heart. No meaning.

Y/N: Ahhhhh. As a fellow creative, I can see where this is going. You asked him to give you more freedom, make your music truly your own, annddd he shut you down.

Ahri: Exactly. So I threw it in his face and walked out. After talking with Eve, I decided to break my contract and start a new group with her. We found Kai'sa through social media; she's one of the best dancers in the world by far.

Kai'sa sipped her drink and smiled appreciatively.

Ahri: And Akali. . .

Akali: Maybe we save that story for another day.

Ahri nodded her head and took a moment to eat a bit more.

You sympathized with her in a way. It was hard getting the big boys in suits to take a chance on a new idea or sound. That was why people constantly said that Hollywood was out of ideas. You knew firsthand that there were plenty of amazing stories ripe to be shown on the big screen, but no one wanted to take the chance on something untested. So, the safest strategy was to continue releasing stuff people already liked.

Ahri: Once I had my team, I was ready to dive right in, but there was a problem. I haven't written my own music in a long time. I have so many ideas – and the others do as well – but we need someone who can help us put our ideas towards a cohesive whole. We need someone who isn't already in the industry and doesn't think about "mass-market appeal."

It was at this point something finally clicked in your mind. There was only one reason they would have gone along with Akali's plan to bring you on board. There was only one thing you had published that fit what Ahri was looking for.