Call of Adventure: Part 1

Sona glanced around at the city of Seoul as she stepped out of the car to her hotel. She had played a few concerts in the city from time to time, and the charm had begun to waiver. It was still beautiful, of course, but as she traveled, she learned that most places weren't as different as they first appeared. Her handler tapped her on her shoulder and gestured for the doors. Her bags had already been sent to her room, and she was checked in. All she had to do was retrieve the room key.

She strolled through the lobby, her heels clicking on the marble floor as she made her way to the black-clad gentleman at one of the front desks. He didn't even ask her for her name, or if she had a reservation, he just handed her a room key and bowed. She would have chalked it up to a cultural thing, but it seemed to happen everywhere she went. People saw her as some divine being descended from heaven to grace this mortal plane. It used to bother her a great deal since she really just wanted to make music. Nowadays, she just went with the flow. It was easier that way.

She took the elevator to her lavishly furnished room and sat on the comfortable stark white mattress. It was cold to the touch, and she melted into it, moaning softly. Day-long flights were the worst thing to ever be invented. Thankfully, she didn't actually have a show in town this time. She had just gotten off of a half-year-long tour and decided to take a bit of a personal vacation. It would have been sensible – and less expensive – to stay at her apartment in New York over the break. But it just brought pain when she thought about it and who she once shared it with.

But it wasn't her fault; her lover had gone completely berserk! He threw himself in a drunken rage at her manager and brutally assaulted him. He scared her. The look in those eyes was pure hate. But she really should have at least tried to help his drinking problem. Looking back, it was an issue that had been building for a while – she had just seen the explosion and the aftereffects. It scared her so much that she left. Part of her regretted leaving the promise ring, but as soon as she did, it felt like a great weight had been lifted from her body.

Sona eased herself to her feet, looking out the window at the city below. It was vibrant with activity. People bustled on the sidewalks lit by fluorescents. She even caught a glimpse of a motorcycle darting between cars as it sped toward the city's edge. Whoever drove that knew how to have a good time.

Sona lazily unpacked her luggage, forcing a calm over herself as she did the menial work. She could keep her mind from wandering as long as her hands were moving. She pulled a black dress from the case; it was her favorite attire for any late-night escapades. The clothing was modest and covered enough that she didn't have to worry about anyone catching of glimpse of something they should not.

Deciding that it would be a good idea to settle into her first night on the town with a nice drink and some food in her stomach, she did her long air up into a tall bun and applied a bit more makeup than usual. She wasn't as famous here as in Europe and the USA, but it never hurt to be cautious. She just wanted to relax tonight without being pestered about performing or signing autographs. Luggage unpacked and as dolled up as she dared look, Sona made her way to the hotel's in-house bar area. There was no question of whether or not it had one. And, of course, it did. So, she sat at a small two-person corner table and looked over the menu. It didn't take long for someone to come over and take her order.

She took out a pen from her purse and scribbled her order in Hangul – she knew just enough to get by. So, he nodded and bustled away. The bar was filled with exquisitely dressed women and sharp men mingling and chatting. It wasn't the same atmosphere she was used to in other places. In the USA, it would have been much louder. Sona eventually picked out something remarkably odd across the room. A pair of women wandered into the space with awestruck expressions. The taller one was deeply tanned with a softer face and oak-colored hair that fell to her lower back. She almost reminded Sona of a deer with her delicate eyebrows and wide brown eyes. She wore a pair of blue jeans and an expensive-looking leather jacket.