Homeward Bound

A/N: My grandparents are now reading this story. . . so that's a thing.

_______________________________________

Twelve minutes to midnight. That was the time you dragged yourself out of bed to get a glass of water. The events of the last day made it rather difficult to keep your eyes closed, and you were reminded of that when the tentacles-faced horror waved to you as you passed him on your way to the kitchen. Thankfully he was still in Akali's trap. Evelynn sat in a recliner, reading a novel titled 'The Three-Body Problem' as it was her turn on Trasyn watch.

You heard the tap running and found Sona also pouring herself a glass of water. She was staying in Ahri's room for the night, not quite feeling safe enough to sleep alone at her hotel. It was understandable.

Sona: Couldn't sleep?

Y/N: Can't keep my mind quiet, even though I've taken enough sleeping pills to tranquilize an elephant.

Sona: You know that's bad for you! Remember how many times I found you sleepwalking after taking one of those?

Y/N: I distinctly remember you wacking me with one of my swords to wake me up once.

Sona: You were being stubborn.

A small chuckle passed between you, and then silence reigned for a time.

Y/N: Despite knowing now that I was somewhat influenced in my anger, it doesn't excuse my actions. I am sorry for what I did - the person I was.

Sona: Doesn't it excuse it though?

Y/N: It would be easy to say yes. It would be so easy to let Trasyn be the excuse for everything that went wrong with us.

Sona: Yes it would be.

Y/N: But that would be a lie. There were problems with us long before the promise ring. I was angry, I was frustrated about you always traveling. I felt like you were something I could never hold onto, just always out of reach. I was terrified of you slipping away from me.

Sona took a long sip from her drink and then ran her fingernail slowly around the glass. She grew somber.

Sona: Well don't act like you were the only problem with our relationship. . . I did my fair share. I made things harder on you than I should have. I did more tours than were strictly necessary.

That was an interesting admission. You had always thought that her manager had said every show she had was nonnegotiable, even the relatively spontaneous tours. It must have shown on your face because she continued.

Sona: I. . . hm. How do I say this. . . I was scared of the type of commitment you represented. You live a very sedentary lifestyle. No parties, barely any traveling, no drugs, and you barely used to drink before the promise ring. When we were apart I missed you dearly, but at the same time, I felt less suffocated and less judged.

Y/N: I never judged you, Sona, I knew what I was signing up for by dating someone as talented as you.

Sona: I know you didn't. But I constantly felt like I wasn't living up to your expectations, so my solution was to have fun while I was on tour. I drank. I did drugs. I lost myself in the. . . what's the phrase? 'Rockstar lifestyle.'

That earned her a bit more than an eyebrow raise.

Trasyn: You should have seen her. Such an animal, so voracious.

There was a sickening crunch as a spear-tipped tail embedded itself in Trasyn's face - driving him to the ground and pinning him. Evelynn didn't even look up from her book.