First Date

Darkness nibbled away at the last rays of daylight managing to cling on to the horizon as you and Akali made your way through the crowded streets. Akali kept her hood up and you kept an arm firmly around her, keeping her on the inside of the sidewalk. This was the standard etiquette, of course, a touch of chivalry that – while not needed for someone like Akali – was appreciated nonetheless. As you were new to the City of Angels, you wanted to find your destination first and then plan your route through the city. A healthy dose of preparedness blended with paranoia never hurt anyone. You expected Akali to reject the idea and say something like "The best way to find places is to randomly stumble into them" But instead she merely nodded her head at your suggestions for restaurants.

Akali: Whatever you wanna do.

You quirked a brow at her lack of protest and went back to searching. You eventually settled on one. It was a well-reviewed restaurant nearby that toed the line between classy and casual. You didn't think Akali would be quite comfortable with something posher, but this was still technically your first date. You had to show off a tiny bit, right? You wanted to have a nice, quiet evening with the girl that had recently filled a gap in your life. While you weren't quite at the stage of being love-drunk yet, you still wanted to make her feel loved. With your traumatic history, you had faith that the feelings would bloom like a field of roses once you got into a comfortable new dynamic. . . or something like that.

Y/N: How about this place, Demacia? A local restaurant run by a brother and sister. Says they aren't busy right now.

Akali glanced at the phone and nodded wordlessly.

Y/N: You sure? You don't seem excited about it.

Akali: No. No. We can totally go, I've just never been to L.A. so I'm not too sure what to expect.

You nodded, that made sense. Without argument on Akali's end, you both set out into the world with a plan of action, just as you liked it. On the other hand, it would be nice to simply spend time with Akali, and let the winds carry you where they may. But that was not your style, and you didn't want to start experimenting while trying to treat your new girlfriend. True, you couldn't show her a neon city from the top of a skyscraper, but good food and company could be just as good. And you hadn't been alone in a while. Aside from a few hours here and there. The last time was when you had kissed her and semi-confessed your feelings. In hindsight, it was definitely a rough and rushed confession during an intense situation. You did not have time to bask in your emotions with so much at stake. That was the story of your life these last few months. No time to enjoy anything before the next crisis.

You glanced at your companion. She had her hood up and her hands in her pockets. Only her eyes to her lips were visible, and the ghost of a smile played across them. Something nagged at the back of your mind that this wasn't quite enough. You still hadn't fully grasped the fact that Akali didn't seem super thrilled, but you knew something was off. Perhaps you needed to devote your full attention to her tonight – to not worry about anything or anyone else.

That was when you decided. Every part of your logical mind screamed at you to not do it, but you decided to indulge a bit. Tonight was about you and Akali, and nothing could interrupt it. You pulled out your phone and sent a quick series of texts to Hawk, Tristana, and Evelynn that you would not be available for the rest of the night. You were about to turn your phone off when you received an immediate message back from Evelynn. It read simply, "Wear protection." You rolled your eyes and powered off your phone. Your anxiety instantly screamed at you to turn it back on. What if there was an emergency? What if the demon escaped and killed everyone you loved? It took a bit to silence those types of thoughts. Back when you lived alone and had no one to care for, that was not a concern. But now, you were part of a team. And that team meant the world to you.