four

Mara had never run faster in her life.

She was blinded by rage as she ran up the stairs and into her cabin with only one thing on her mind. 

Druig.

She wanted to kill him. 

She stared at her reflection in the mirror, tears streaking down her blotchy face, her throat turning a dark, purple color.

She looked for anything to write with so that she could document everything that had happened that day before she could forget it. 

Her hand was shaking as she wrote down scribbles of notes on a piece of paper that she tore out of one of her magazines.

The events that happened only a few minutes before circling back into her memories.

'Threatening.... choking.... torture.... couldn't breathe.... slit my throat....'

Her list went on and on as she scribbled down intensely, causing her hands to burn after she finished her list. 

Once she finished her notes, she gathered herself, fixed up her hair and makeup, and calmly exited her cabin. 

"Hey, Mara! Why are you not with the others? The work won't get done unless we all do it!" said Alice as she practically teleported behind her, faking cheery tone.

The sun shone in her ocean blue eyes, enhancing the golden specs in her eyes which Mara had never noticed before.

"Alice, if you don't mind, I really do not want to fucking talk to you right now," replied Mara in a very angered tone. 

"Wow, camper, that's harsh, but you still need to go back and finish picking out the crops! After all, we'll be needing to eat them for dinner soon!" Alice grinned as Mara glared daggers at her.

"Fine, whatever!" Mara grunted as she grabbed her woven basket harshly and, once again, sulked off over to the fields.

As she arrived to the work area, she noticed that no one was working anymore and that they were sitting in a large circle, talking as Myra passed water bottles out to them.

As she walked over to the group, she saw Kinsey and Sam sitting next to each other, deep in conversation as they drank from their bottles.

That view reminded Mara why she'd been in the rainforest in the first place; to avoid whatever the fuck was going on between her best friend and boyfriend.

Mara stalked towards them as Sam shot up once he saw his girlfriend.

"Hey, where were you, Mar? Geez, what happened to your neck?" Sam winced as he gently brushed his fingers against Mara's neck, causing her to hiss at the contact.

Kinsey skipped over to them.

"Mara! Where were you, we missed you- holy crap your neck!" she gasped as she stared at her best friend's bruised neck. 

"That's what I said! But I think that she just fell or something, she's can be really clumsy sometimes," Sam snickered as Kinsey let out a loud shriek of laughter.

"That's not what happened," Mara's voice was hushed as she looked around at the other students around them who had narrowed their eyes at Kinsey's reaction.

"You've been so angry recently, Mara, you're eighteen years old, you need to grow up and stop tripping over your own feet," Sam's green eyes looked down on his girlfriend with amusement.

Mara felt her anger building up once again.

"Honestly, he's right, and you need to stop being a baby about this whole trip I mean, what's so bad about helping people? You have all this money, is it so hard to give back to the world? It's disgusting of you." Kinsey's voice illuminated repulsion.

"Can you guys fucking stop! I don't care about that right now. That guy who yelled at me yesterday, Druig, I think he has powers or something because he was choking me while he was a foot away. It was the most terrifying moment of my life, I thought I was going to die!" Mara argued.

"That sounds like some Avengers bozo shit," Sam replied as he and Kinsey both collapsed into fits of laughter.

"That guy doesn't even look like he can take his shirt off in front of a girl," Kinsey screamed in between laughs.

As they were laughing and looking at her, Mara noticed that they too had flecks of gold in their eyes. She had never realized that before and was surprised that it was so common.

What the fuck is going on here, she thought.

"Fine don't believe me," Mara said quietly as she crossed her arms and turned in the direction where Myra continued to pass out water bottles and juice boxes.

Mara tapped on her shoulder causing the brown-skinned woman to turn around and face her. Her once-grand smile had now turned into a frown.

"Do you need something?" she asked her cold brown eyes boring into hers.

"I wanted to report something, actually. Your leader assaulted me. He began choking me while standing away from me. I'm scared," the wealthy young girl complained as she pointed to her bruised throat, causing Myra to let out a small laugh.

"My dear, you sound delusional! Our leader doesn't have any powers nor did he touch you that doesn't sound like him! He's always been kind and respectful to everyone who's ever been here!" Myra placed a hand over her heart and laughed.

Mara's heart dropped.

Why was everyone thinking that she was joking?

Mara started her way back to the cabin running a hand through her long brown hair, tears streaming down her face from frustration.

"Aw, hey, c'mon, Mara, you know we were just joking, right? Come back!" Sam called out after her.

Mara ignored his desperate calls and walked in the direction of her cabin.

"Something wrong?" she heard a voice from behind her, causing her to stop in her tracks and swing around to be met face to face with the man who caused all of this.

He looked calm with his hands held behind his back with a lazy smirk plastered on his face.

"Fuck you," Mara said coldly, "You're going to get what you deserve, I promise, and you'll be wishing that you were dead," 

"We will see who will end up hurt, sweetheart, and I promise, it won't be me," Druig's blue-gray eyes glinted with mirth and arrogance as he stared at Mara's crumbling figure.

Her eyes glistened with tears from her exasperation.

She rushed back into the cabin and laid on her bed as her vision blurred and tears started streaming down her face. 

She was so frustrated by everyone and everything, why wouldn't they just listen to her?

She screamed into her pillow, not only for herself, but for everything. She screamed and screamed and screamed. 

She felt as alone as ever.

This was one of the worst moments of her life and for the first time, she wished she was home. 

---

thank you guys for reading up to here! please remember to favorite and comment your feedback. we will always take your opinions into account. Hope you're all having a nice day or night :) 

always, asiya & jordan<3