ten

tw: slight reference to sexual abuse

The moment Mara saw the sign for the Amazon formal dance, she let out a loud, obnoxious laugh.

Were they actually serious? A dance in the middle of the fucking Amazon rainforest?

"So, I see you've seen the little poster me and Myra put up today!" the annoying pitchy voice of Alice rang through her ears as Mara turned around to face the older woman.

"Yeah, it sounds...interesting!" Mara stated as Alice clapped her hands, a giddy look on her face walking towards her, clamping a meaty hand on her shoulder, making Mara gasp.

"It's in a few days so you better have something ready! I heard the other kids are having their parents send them fancy outfits but I don't think that'll be a problem for you considering that you're rich," Alice cackled.

Her breath stank of garlic, making Mara's face twist into disgust.

"Alright, Alice I got to go," Mara had lied partially; she was about to go hurl in a toilet from the foul stench.

In actuality, Mara was slightly excited for this formal, considering the fact that she planned on requesting a black revenge dress, showing off a lot of skin to bring Sam down to his knees, making Kinsey beg for forgiveness. 

If she happened to catch a glance of Druig, she wouldn't mind him seeing her in this dress either.  

Ever since their last encounter, Mara could not get him out of her head. 

The way he had called her nicknames, the way the sunglasses looked on him, his leather jacket, it was all so attractive to her. There was a sense of mysteriousness and danger to him that made her even more drawn to him. 

---

The day before the dance, Mara had picked out a scandalous, body con, black dress which hugged her curves and cut at her upper thigh. 

When she was wearing a dishonorable dress, her mother would always have something to say about it. This sense of spitefulness filled Mara with happiness. She would finally get her way without anyone having anything to say about it.

Before any party, Mara would always send Kinsey a picture of her outfit, just for a sense of approval however, she would not have anyone to do that with.

It made her slightly sad knowing that she wouldn't be able to take in Kinsey's advice. She was all on her own

Although, their friendship had their cons. Kinsey's constant jealousy and backhanded compliments in the past towards Mara all made sense now. 

The toxicity of her ex-best friend was gone.

Whenever she'd see them, however, her feelings would immediately come rushing back, causing her to spiral into a depressive episode.

---

As Mara was preparing for the dance, she had the revelation in her mind to make everyone jealous. 

She wanted revenge. 

Not the classic type of revenge, she just wanted people to see what they could no longer have. 

Mara had blowdried and straightened her hair, giving it volume and applied her makeup. She wore subtle eyeliner, some mascara, and blood-red lipstick. 

She slipped on her dress and took a step back, taking in her whole image in the mirror. 

She had to admit, she looked hot. 

Mara had not realized the time until she walked out of her bathroom, checking her clock, seeing that she was already ten minuted late.

"Shit!" she yelped, grabbing her clutch and quickly putting on her bracelets and rings.