fifteen

Mara's eyes snapped open and she could feel her mother's weight being pulled off of her.

She looked to see Druig holding onto her mother who was yelling and cursing at the man, ordering him to let her go.

Druig's blue eyes were stained with rage as they stared down at Estelle.

They then were cast upon Mara, immediately softening at her small form which was littered with forming bruises from the strong forces of her mother.

"Get your grubby little hands off of me! You abused my fucking daughter! Now you stay away from her or you'll be sorry!" her mother barked as she tried to squirm out of Druig's tight grip.

"Mara are you okay? Do I need to bring you over to the medical camp?" he asked softly as the girl couldn't help but feel butterflies brewing in her stomach, despite this awful situation.

He looked so gorgeous with his messy, dark hair swept to one side, dressed in a white button-down shirt. The top two buttons were unbuttoned, showcasing his handsome broad build.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," she said as she stood up and then turned to face the full-length mirror in the bedroom.

As she stared at her reflection, she noticed the bright purple bruise under her left eye, the prominent bruise on her chin, and the bruise on her right cheekbone. Her skin was a pasty white color and she looked exhausted.

At this point, she didn't care.

Getting harmed was almost a daily occurrence for her whenever she was around her mother.

Whenever she was at home she'd always cover it up with mountains of makeup each morning, attempting to conceal her bruises; this time wasn't any different except for Druig 'saving the day'.

"Are you sure you're not in any pain?" the dark-haired man questioned, his eyebrows furrowing.

"I'm fine. I promise. This is nothing new," Mara whispered the last part.

"I'm gonna kill you! Get off of me! I am a very powerful woman and I can make your life miserable," Estelle's eyes had a furious glitter in them as she looked up at Druig.

Her face contorted into a mixture of fear and anger, a dangerous combination.

"Is that a threat?" Druig stared down at her mockingly.

"No, it's a promise," she growled as she suddenly leaped out of his grasp, advancing towards him.

Mara's heart jumped out of her chest at how cruel her mother looked.

She had seen this before and she knew the outcome all too well. 

The beautiful man's eyes turned a faint gold as Estelle was suddenly frozen in place.

"It's time to go home, Estelle," Druig raised his chin, his foreign accent now sounding stronger than ever.

Mara stood up and turned to face her mother whose jaw hung open, her now golden eyes looked blank.

She looked like an actual zombie.

Mara's mother nodded and then turned around and left the cabin without another word.

"What the fuck just happened?" Mara's voice elicited shock, anger, and happiness at the same time.

"Your mother is going home, just as you wanted," Druig clapped.

"You know what I mean, Druig. I'm serious. What did you do to my mother?" Mara stared at him expectantly.

"I've been told that I have a very convincing tone," a smirk formed on the man's face.