eight

Mara's eyes fluttered open, immediately noticing Kinsey's deserted bed, causing her heart  to crack.

What a wonderful way to start off a morning, she thought as she got up out of her bed and entered the bathroom.

The lingering scent of Kinsey's vanilla shampoo wafted in the air.

Kinsey's dozen bags of makeup products were missing and the only sign of her presence was the insolent message written in large, blood red colored font on the mirror.

It read, 'You have no one. You're better off dead, slut. xoxo, S&K'

Mara sighed as she tried to ignore the message, continuing with her morning routine and brushed her teeth and hair, washed her face, and applied mascara.

She had changed into black hoodie and black leggings, disguising her from her usual preppy outfits in an attempt to lay low from Kinsey and Sam.

She glanced up at the mirror for a moment before grabbing a pink sponge full of soap and started scrubbing off the cruel words.

Angry tears streamed down her face as she aggressively attempted to wipe down the red message.

Once she finished, she left her cabin, making her way to the large cafeteria for breakfast.

Mara followed the large mass of teenagers entering the mess hall, seamlessly blending into them.

She usually sat with Kinsey and Sam, who were in the buffet line laughing together, grinning ear to ear. His arm was lazily slung over her and his fingers drew small circles into her arm.

Mara piled scrambled eggs onto her plate, finding an empty table, sitting silently as sadness seeped through her once again as turned her attention to Kinsey and Sam.

For the entirety of their relationship, Mara and Sam had never shown the much physical attention towards each other, most likely because he was using her for her wealth.

Spooning the eggs into her mouth, Mara looked around the mess hall, observing the smiling people who all had at least one person around them.

And then there was Mara alone, per usual.

She desperately needed a distraction from all of the misery she was experiencing.

From the corner of her eye, she saw a boy with floppy black hair and kind brown almond-shaped eyes staring at her. 

He was dressed in red flannel and a white plain t-shirt.

He was surrounded by a couple of friends who seemed to be laughing at nonsense while he simply stared at Mara.

"Something more interesting to you, Kai?" a guy asked the boy, causing his cheeks to flame a dangerous red.

The rest of the table went into fits of laughter.

"Shut up, guys," the boy shook his head lightly, turning his attention to his friends.

"Why don't you ask her out? I heard she broke up with that boyfriend of hers," another guy teased him, running a hand through his hair.

"What if she says no? She's super pretty, way out of my league..." the boy sighed dreamily as the other guys on the table started laughing, once again.

"You're down bad, aren't you, man?" a boy next to him clapped a hand on his shoulder.

"Just ask her, c'mon man, don't be such a pussy," another guy encouraged.

The boy stood up from her chair and walked over to Mara's table, causing her to blush.