twelve

Over the next few weeks, Mara found herself drawn to Druig and would try to be near him at any chance she'd get.

Occasionally, Druig would excuse Mara from the projects a tad bit early, just trying to spend time with her.

The polar opposites were magnetically drawn together, not being able to get enough of each other. 

Druig was wrong to ever think that she was careless because when he watched her work with his people, he could see her enthusiasm and will to work that had not been there when she first arrived at the camp.

He had seen her interacting with the children and noticed how whenever she was there, they flocked towards her with beaming faces, her returning their energy with a wide smile.

The way she would handle and take care of the babies, holding them so gently, beaming down at them. 

When his people would have intellectual conversations with her and how she would carry their conversations. He had noticed that she was so much smarter than anyone ever gave her credit for. 

Druig hadn't felt this way in a long time.

---

Mara was fascinated by Druig's mysteriousness and secrecy behind his dark demeanor.

Every time she saw him, butterflies would always arise in her stomach, contrasting the previous hatred that she had felt towards him.

She did not know what to make of that feeling as she still did not trust Druig, but she enjoyed the attention and enjoyed his company.

It was a bright sunny day when Mara was walking from the cafeteria to Druig's cabin, looking for any excuse to talk to him when she heard a certain someone on her trail. 

She spun her head around to see Sam dressed in a pair of shorts and a wrinkly blue 'The Office' t-shirt.

Mara immediately recoiled, feeling disgusted by him.

How had she ever been in love with him? How was she ever able to tolerate him? 

"Don't touch me," she sneered as she turned around, continuing in the direction of Druig's cabin.

"Mara, please, wait, I need to talk to you," Sam's voice cracked with desperation, causing the wealthy girl to scoff.

"I don't want to hear it, Sam. Why don't you run off to your little girlfriend, I don't want to be in your presence. You're pathetic." Mara's voice dripped with malice as she walked into the forest.

"It's about Druig," her ex said dully, making her stop in her tracks, turning around to face him.

The rays of sunlight shone down on him, casting a golden color on his face; his pink lips, that Mara used to kiss so sweetly, were parted. His curly dark hair was swept to the side because of the breeze.

 Mara used to love to comb her hands through them. 

His green eyes that she used to adore were now turned into a weapon, ready to be used against her.

"So there is something going on between you two. I didn't want to consider it, but here we are," Sam shifted his weight, his green eyes boring into her brown ones.

Mara stormed towards him with fury in her eyes.

"You don't know anything so stop acting like you fucking do," she jabbed a finger at his chest, making the boy slightly flinch.

"Don't think I haven't seen you, Mara...I've seen you with him. Sneaking off in his direction, looking for his presence any time you enter a room," Sam shook his head as Mara's brown eyes bulged.