five

Mara's eyes fluttered open as a stream of sunlight fell onto her face from the open window in her shared room with Kinsey. The summer breeze filled the room with warm air.

"Rise and shine, rise and shine!" Kinsey's voice was high-pitched and energetic as she placed her face close by Mara's.

Mara scowled as she opened her hazel eyes, startle to see Kinsey hovering over her, looking exceptionally beautiful wearing a maroon shirt and light blue overalls. Her thick black curly hair was pinned up in a large bun on top of her head and her smile was wide.

"Alright, alright I'm up, Kins," Mara's voice was raspy as she went to the restroom to brush her teeth and get ready for the day.

She was still slightly angry from the day before when Kinsey and her boyfriend didn't believe her accusations about Druig and what he did to her.

"So, are you ready for the new day?" Kinsey chirped.

"I guess," Mara said as she spit out the remaining mint toothpaste from her mouth and into the sink.

"Oh, Mar, you know me and Sam were joking, right?"

Sometimes, Mara didn't know when they were joking. Their comments were occasionally hurtful and lately, she'd been sick and tired of them. She was tired of them using her for whatever gain they wanted. Whether that be her money, house, or assets, she didn't know. 

She bit back a sarcastic response and a quick fuck you and simply shrugged her shoulders.

"Well, we were joking and we hope your neck feels better," Kinsey put her head on her friend's shoulder and stared at her through the large mirror in front of them where Mara was attempting to apply her mascara.

"Your neck looks better, by the way," Kinsey said as she pat her back awkwardly, Mara stared at her neck.

Kinsey was fucking with her and she knew it.

Mara's neck still was a shade of dark purple.

What twisted game was she playing?

"I don't like it when people lie, Kinsey," Mara's tone was gloomy as her friend chortled.

"Well, I'm serious. Yesterday, it looked an eggplant and now it's toned down. That must've been some tumble you took," said the black-haired girl, holding back a laugh.

"I hope you go to Hell," Mara said calmly as she brushed her hair, wiping a single tear from her eye.

She couldn't tell if she was serious or not.

Kinsey must've thought the same thing because she giggled awkwardly.

"So, later today Sam and I were gonna go out by the river and look at the stars if you wanted to come," the girl said casually as Mara gritted her teeth roughly.

"You both were going to go without me?" 

"It wasn't going to be like a date or anything and plus, we weren't sure if you were mad at us or not so..." Kinsey looked at her best friend who threw her brush in a drawer and walked to the closet to get clothes.

Mara said nothing but her face flushed as she grabbed a pair of dark jeans and a white button-down shirt, going back into the bathroom stall to change.

"Mara, you know we just were gonna talk and look at the stars, right? I mean, you can't be upset about me and Sam being friends. You were the one that introduced us?" Mara could hear Kinsey pleading from the outside of her stall as she changed, her tone slightly condescending.

A feeling of jealousy overwhelmed her as she was buttoning up her shirt. 

"I'm not upset, it just feels like he's more of your boyfriend rather than mine," Mara said as she opened the door, Kinsey's once guilty face turned into her jaw practically dropping.