-/|\Chapter 3/|\-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The insouciant hero casually strolled beside you, happy to just keep quiet, which you very much appreciated. "Well, here we are." he said as he gestured towards the room that you had been told to go to for the interview.

"Thanks." You whispered with a blush on your face as you stared down at your front.

"Ya thanking me or your shirt?" He asked with a chipper laugh,

"Y-...You" You said softly as you slowly lifted your head to make eye contact with him. Hawks was SO good looking up close, you started to tremble all over again, a very shaky smile pulling at your lips while you sported that light blush.

"You're welcome." He said quietly with an endearing smile that pulled you right in, "you have really pretty eyes- Uh-"

"Yin" You mouthed

"Yin?" He asked just to confirm. You nodded, Wait, did I say my name out loud just then? How did he hear that? You wondered internally. "Well. Nice to meet ya Yin, good luck with your interview. keep that head up, yeah?" He said gently, your heart melted.

"Hey, Hawks!" Someone bellowed from the other end of the hall, "We're headed out, you coming?" Hawks dragged his eyes away from you and looked down the hall

"Yeah, I'm coming!" he called, holding his hand up casually to let them know that he'd heard them. Then he looked back at you "Catch ya." He said with a wink.

With two strong strokes of his brilliant red wings, he lifted up and floated backwards then shot off down the hall, your eyes still glued to him. Fast and hot You thought before nearly jumping out of your skin when someone called

"Ah! Ms. Lin, come in!" You pulled your gaze from where Hawks had disappeared down the hall, to the manager, who was standing in his office doorway. He was smiling brightly at you, you swallowed thickly before stepping forwards "Thank you for coming in today!" he said as he gestured for you to take a seat, walking back around his desk to his chair and sitting down. "To be quite honest, there's not really much that we need to do for this interview. As long as you have your credentials, you're hired! Because you're the only person who applied." He said with a laugh and you gave him a polite smile. "Do you have your paperwork handy?" he asked.

10 minutes later, you left the office with the new title of payroll officer. You were stoked!- no wait, scratch that. Mortified! You were now working at the place where the number two hero had caught you standing in a closet! Ugh, Really?! Why did that have to happen? you wailed internally as you left the building and put your headphones/earbuds back on as you made you way back to the bus stop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your first week at your new job went amazingly well, and you were starting to relax. As the advertisement for the job stated, you had a small office to yourself and people rarely ever talked to you. If they wanted to put in for leave or something, they'd just walk in, say hi, drop their request form into the in tray box, and walk out. It was perfect!

At the end of the day you had to take your reports and deliver them to your boss, Mr. Ligma, whose office was on the next level up, last door at the end of the long corridor. Why is everyone's office so far away from mine? You wailed internally, It's a blessing and a curse! I don't want people to be close, but then I don't wanna have to travel across the pacific to get reports to them!

It was now Friday afternoon and you'd just finished work. Okay, now just to get these papers to Mr. Ligma and then I can go. You grab the folders and made sure everything was in there before standing up and walking to the door. Gingerly, you poked your head out and looked down the hall to the elevator. You could see the numbers above the elevator moving down to your level,

Okay, I'll wait here in the office until those people hop out, walk to the elevator, then pray that no one else joins me. You pulled your head back and waited for the familiar 'Ding' of the doors opening. As the 'ding' chimed you heard jovial voices fill the hallway.

"-anyways Hawks, so I'll talk to you tomorrow!" One voice said. Hawks? HAWKS!? you screeched internally, spinning around and frantically looking around your room, I need to hide! At least until he passes, then I can go." You quickly ran to your desk and ducked down, scooting underneath the desktop and waiting for the winged hottie to pass your room. You heard his footsteps approaching, then they stopped at your open office door No no no no no no no, keep going! you screamed internally. Just then, you heard him enter your office and your heart sank. He walked around the desk and leaned down, peering underneath to where you had scooted under.

"Oh, hey kid!" He said brightly, "playing hide and seek again? I thought it was my turn to hide." He joked. Your face instantly flushed, tears of extreme embarrassment pricking at the corners of your eyes. "Eh, It's okay. It'll be my turn next time." He said cheerfully and you crawled out from your hiding spot, staring at the floor in shame. "How's your first week here been?" He asked as you stood up.

"Fine..." You whispered with a nod.

"Ya heading upstairs to hand in the reports?" He asked, seeing you hold onto the folders. You nodded again. "I'll walk you there." He said in a casually happy tone. Please, not this again! You grimaced internally, But last time he didn't talk, so I guess it will be okay...

"Okay..." You said softly. He smiled,

"Okay then, let's go." He said as he shoved his hands in his pockets and strolled to the door. You followed him staying close. when you got to the elevator, a number of people hopped out, you immediately shrank back behind Hawks.

"Hey, Hawks." They chorused.

"Yo." He replied casually, greeting a few by name. No one paid you any attention. This is... really good, Hawks takes the attention off of me. I wonder if he did this on purpose. You though as you looked at his bright red feathers from where you stood behind.

Hawks delivered you to the door of your boss's office and wished you a good weekend before leaving.

Monday afternoon saw you in the doorway of your office again, ready to embark on your journey to the boss's room. You did your mandatory sweep of the elevator and the floor numbers were shifting again. Okay, same as last time. I'll wait for them to hop out, then make a run for the elevator. You pulled your head back and waited.

"Catch ya later, hawks!" a voice said.

Your heartbeat went wild, Hawks again!? You have got to be kidding me! You screeched internally, wiping around and running to the cupboard. You quickly stepped in and closed the door behind you, I hid under the desk last time, so he'll check there first. Hopefully he'll think he's missed me and leave! You waited silently as you heard him walk in. There was a another moment of silence and you held your breath. Maybe he's gone... You thought. Than you felt something on your shoulder, you grabbed for it. What the heck is this? Is this a feather??? You thought as you deciphered it with your fingers.

"What's that, boy?" You heard Hawks say from just outside the cupboard door, you jumped. "She's in the cupboard?" He asked as he opened the door, you looked up at him in surprise and fear. "Oh, hey!" He said casually, "This feels familiar." He added with a cheeky smile.