/|\chapter 20/|\

You headed home at the end of the day, grateful to be done. Hawks hadn't made any more passes at you that afternoon and you were happy about it, your blood pressure thank you immensely.

"Mom, I'm home!" You called out as you entered the house. Your mom poked her head out from the kitchen door and gawked at you.

"What?" You asked with a giggle when you saw the look on her face.

"You called out a greeting!" You mom gasped, "Usually you sneak into the house and no one knows you're even here until you sort of just... appear."

You smiled, "I'm working really hard to be more confident."

"This is wonderful honey!" Your mom said excitedly, "We need to celebrate! I'll make (F/F) for dinner tonight."

"Really!?" You said, clapping your hands with joy.

"Yes sweetheart! Now, let me see if I have all the ingredients..." She mumbled as she went back to the kitchen.

You followed and watched as she pulled packets out of the cupboard. "Yes... Yes... I think I've got every- Oh no, of course It's got to be that one ingredient!" She wailed,

"Why is that always happening?! I have enough of everything else to make a batch large enough to last a whole winter, yet I don't have that one item!"

"Mom, I-It's okay. I'll go to the shop and get it." You said, standing straight and setting your face with determination.

"Yin!" She said with astonishment, turning to you, "But you never- you couldn't go on your own with out da-"

"No, I can go on my own." You said determinedly, "I'll be back soon." You turned around and grabbed your wallet from your bag then walked to the door.

You looked back at your mom to say goodbye. She was standing there with a proud smile on her face and tears in her eyes, "You're so strong, baby," She said in an overjoyed voice, "I'm so proud."

You beamed at her and left, strutting out as you headed down the street. I am invincible today! You thought proudly, I got through a crowd, I called hawks cute, passed out- okay skip that one- Said hello when I got home, and now I'm heading to the store on my own!

You arrived at the small corner store, picking up a basket as you walked in and made a beeline for the aisle that had the item you were after. Yay, they have some! You thought and picked up enough for tonight's dinner, than, just in case your mom wanted to make any more for lunch tomorrow, thought it might be a good idea to grab extra.

Okay, now to pay... oh god... You though.

You took a deep breath in, composing yourself as you stood facing the shelf and exhaled softly before turning around and taking a step towards the registers. Unfortunately, someone was standing behind you and bumped strait into them.

Before you had a chance to step back or apologize, they grabbed you around the waist and held your body against theirs.

"Ah, just what I was looking for.~" A voice said lowly.

You blushed and looked up at the other person's face.

It was Hawks, "Oh, hey chicken!" He said as he reached past you to the shelf that you'd just been standing at, pulled something off of it, and put it in his basket.

"Sorry, did you think I meant you?" He asked with a cocky smile as he kept one arm wrapped around you.

"You- You're so cheeky!" You said.

He laughed, "Couldn't help it." He said as he stood back, scratching the back of his head. "You uh... okay? I wasn't expecting you to turn around so fast."