~/|\Chapter 21/|\~

Hawks chatted on about something and you listened quietly, your mind going 100 miles per hour trying to come up with a reason for Hawks not to walk you back to your old house. I mean... I know where the spare key is, You thought, I could just see if it's still there and go in then leave after him??? But what if the house is already sold to another family and their home!?

Hawks continued with his story, watching your from the corner of his eye. He wanted to see if you'd break and tell him that you'd moved. That day, when he had come to your rescue, he had seen you come out of the apartments but by the time he got to you you were already out the front gate and were quick to get held up by the cocky moving guy as you walked past.

Because you hadn't said anything to him about moving houses he figured that you didn't want him to know, so he pretended that he didn't. He just guessed it had something to do with your father and, considering that he wasn't supposed to know anything about that man or the whole quirk thing, he kept his mouth shut. He also wanted to test where he stood on your trust scale and, so far, he felt like your trust in him was very low, which he understood completely considering what your dad had drilled into you from a very young age. He had been impressed with how well you kept your mouth shut up until this point, but he could tell you were about to come undone very quickly.

As you got close to your old place you started to slow down.

"You okay?" Hawks asked when he noticed your pace had slowed.

"Uh... Hawks?" You said softly, not daring to look at him, "I-I need to tell you something..."

"What is it Chicken?" He asked tenderly.

"W-We... um... We moved houses. My mom and I."

"oh, Yin, why didn't you just say so?" Hawks asked with a gentle smile.

"I...I..."

"You don't trust me, Yin?" He asked, you looked up at him sympathetically. Hawks had a neutral look on his face, didn't seem particularly hurt by the fact that you hadn't confided in him about moving, but you still felt bad.

"N-No It's not that, It's just-" You dropped your gaze again.

"Yes?" He asked, tilting his head to the side curiously.

"We needed to get away from b-... sad memories..." You said softly. Woops, almost said 'bad memories'. You thought.

Just then he put a hand on your arm and you looked up at him again. "I wouldn't get any closer to your house if  I were you anyway." He said lowly.

"What do you mean?" You asked, looking around.

"Yin, was your dad in trouble or something? Is that why he left?" Hawks probed. He already knew the truth, but he wanted to see how much you'd tell him.

"I-I don't know. Why?" You lied.

"There are some people staking out your old house." Hawks said as he looked up from you and down the road towards your former home.

"How do you know that?" You asked in surprise.

"Feathers, babe." He said with a chuckle, still looking off into the distance. "They're talking about you... Said your name."

"You can hear them??" You gasped in shock. He nodded, still listening.

"It's not safe here, kid, come back to my place." He said.

"No wait- Come to mine!- come for dinner!" You blurted out, "M-My mom has plenty of food."

"Are you sure?" He asked, looking back at you.

"Y-Yes, I trust you. My mom 'd like to see you again too." You said with a smile.

"Okay, which street are you on? I'll fly us there." He said, taking your hand and pulling you against himself.

"Uh... Sukma street." You mumbled into his chest.

"Oh yeah, I know the one! It's got a ball court at the end." He said casually as he spread his wings. "Don't scream now." He said with a chuckle as he shot up into the air. You clamped your mouth shut and gripped onto Hawks with all your strength. He held you close as he flew to your street.

"Okay, here we are." He said as he alighted halfway down the road. You let go of him and tried to take a shaky step back but your knees went weak and you buckled slightly.

"Woah there drunken miss!" Hawks laughed, "Here, hold my arm." He said, extending his arm out for you to hold onto. You accepted and pointed a shaky finger down the street to the block of apartments.

"Th-Th-That's where w-we are." You whispered, still focused on trying not to pass out. He smiled and you both walked down the road to your place.

You were feeling better by the time you reached your apartment and pulled your keys out of your pocket to unlock the door. You let go of Hawks' arm and deviously placed your finger to your lips in a 'Shh' sign to indicate for him to stay silent. He smirked and made a zipping motion across his mouth as you unlocked the door and silently let him inside. You took his hand and walked into the kitchen, sneaking through the door.

Your mom had her back to you as you entered giving you time to quickly sit Hawks down at the table then turned towards you mom with a smile.

"I'm back.~" You said suddenly.

Your mom nearly jumped out of her skin and spun around. "Yin!" She gasped, then she saw Hawks sitting casually at the table with a bright smile on his face and she nearly passed out.

"Oh my heart- Hawks!?" She cried her hands to her cheeks in surprise.

You laughed and Hawks happily looked from you to her. "Hey, Mrs. Lin." He said with a chuckle as he got up and walked over to her, "Forgive me for intruding like this."

"Oh, not at all Hawks! To what do we owe the pleasure?" She gushed as he bent his head to the side and kissed her cheek in greeting.

You were gobsmacked. This smooth motherfucker... You thought.

"I bumped into Yin at the store and she invited me over." He explained to your mom with a smile, "I hope that's okay."

Wow, he just effortlessly glossed over the whole other bit in there. You though with a chuckle.

"Not at all!" Your mom said emphatically, "We have plenty of food, I'm making Yin's favorite tonight."

"Are you?" He asked, "I'd love to try some of her favorite dish." he looked over at you and winked.

"My," You mom gushed again, "you seem very familiar with my daughter."

"Well, we do see each other a lot at work, so I've gotten to know her over the past few months." He said with an endearing smile, "She's a beautiful girl, Mrs. Lin, you've raised her well." He complimented.

"Umm... I'm right here guys." You deadpanned from the doorway.

"Plus, she's a lot of fun, too." Hawks laughed. Your mom was overjoyed and you could almost see the wedding bells in her eyes. You groaned and covered your face.

Your mom and Hawks chuckled together. Oh god, I can't deal with these two! You thought.