-/|\Chapter 39/|\-

After explaining a little more, your estranged uncle let Hawks in.

"We put my sister back in her room just now because we didn't know who was at the door, and i was worried that I might've been... him... You know?" your uncle explained. " We'd let her out, but she's still insisting that we let her go so she can go back home and wait for her husband. Seriously, we have to walk her like a... well, like a hawk- excuse my choice of words- so she doesn't escape."

"Love the choice of words." Hawks said with a chuckle. "So, she really did get addicted to his quirk, huh?..." He added with a sigh as he walked in and sat down at the table. Just then, the other male in the house poked his head around the corner.

"Oh... uh. Hawks, this is my boyfriend. Brian." Your estranged uncle introduced, gesturing to the beaming face that had popped out from behind the wall.

"Hah, didn't see that coming." Hawks said with a laugh, "How are you?" he asked as he smiled and stood up, reaching out for the guy's hand.

"AhhHH~ Oh my god!~" The boyfriend sang as he scooted forward and excitedly shook Hawks's hand. "I am freaking out right now, you have no idea. I can't believe you're in our house!" He squealed, using his free hand to rapidly fan himself.

"Brian, reel it in a little. Chill for a moment. Please." Your uncle begged with an exaggerated sigh. "Sorry, Hawks. He's a big fan." he apologized to the winged hero.

Hawks chuckled, " Ah, no sweat. It's always a pleasure to meet a fan." he said with his signature smile, looking from your uncle to the boyfriend. Brian squealed with a bright smile and balled his fists up by his sides, shaking rapidly with excitement.

"Babe, would you mind checking on my sister?" your uncle deadpanned to his almost too excited boyfriend.

"Oh, yeah! Sure thing, babe. Great to meet you, Hawks~. Toodles!" Brian excused himself flamboyantly with a twiddle finger wave before sashaying out of the room.

"Nice guy." Hawks chuckled.

"Ugh... A real hand full, but I love him." your uncle said, shaking his head like a disappointed mother.

"Listen. Could you let me talk to your sister?" Hawks asked. "It's good that she's away from her husband, but I think she might need professional help..."

"Yeah, I think so too... But we were too scared to take her anywhere in case he somehow found out and took her again. At least here we know she's safe..." your uncle said.

"That's very wise of you, but I'll guarantee her safety. I promise you, he won't get her."

"That's... That's really nice of you, Hawks." your uncle said with a relieved sigh. " Okay. I'll take you to her room." He led Hawks out of the dining room and down the hall, stopping at a door. " Hey, sis? There's someone here to see you." he called as he unlocked the door from the outside.

"Is it my husband?!" You mom gasped hopefully as the pitter patter of her running to the door sounded on the other side. But, when the door opened she came face to face with Hawks. "H-Ha~wks!" She wailed happily, "Oh, you're here to save me!" she gushed as she flung her arms around the number two hero. "Please, take me back to the apartment so my husband won't be worried- he's probably there right now worried sick about where I am!..."

"Hi, Mrs. Lin." Hawks greeted in a friendly voice, his face mere inches from hers, "How are you?"

"So~ much better now that you're here to help me." she gasped again, pulling her body against his.

He remained steadfast with his hands in his pockets. "I... Have some bad news for you, Mrs. Lin. Unfortunately your husband end up back at the apartment. It was never his intention to do so." Hawks said calmly.

"But- but he said he misses us- and- and that he wanted to come back?" She said in confusion, letting go of Hawks and steeping back.

"I know." he said sympathetically, "It was a cruel trick..."

Your mom's bottom lip began to quiver, "No-... No- No my husband doesn't lie... If he says he's going to do something, he does it. And-... he said he was coming back-... Wait... Are... Are you lying to me, Hawks?..." You mom asked in a shaky whisper. "Are you lying about him not being there!? He's waiting for me, isn't he!? ISN'T HE!?" She said, sadness and confusion turning to angered despair and desperation. "Let me go to him, please! Take me to him. Why are you all trying to keep me from him?!" she wailed, her agitation beginning to boil up.

"Do you really believe I would lie to you, Mrs. Lin?" Hawks asked, tilting his head slightly to the side.

"W-Well, I don't know." She said, "Why are you keeping me from seeing him!?"

"I'm not, Mrs. Lin. I'm just saying he's not home. If you went back it'd be pointless." Hawks said, remaining a calm, steady tone. "Listen. You're really not gonna like what I have to say next, but it's important that I tell you, even if you don't believe me. I know who you husband is and I know all about his quick. You've been under it's influence for so long that your brain no longer knows how to regulate without it."

You mom stared at him utter disbelieving confusion. "What?... what do you mean?" she asked blankly. "Under the influence of his quirk? I don't... I don't know what you're saying..."

Ah... He must've been doing it subtle enough that she couldn't even tell when it was happened. Sneaky bastard... Hawks thought. "When you were sad, did your husband ever touch you to make you feel happy?" Hawks asked.

"Yes, of course- because he cares about me and wanted to cheer me up." Your mom replied.

"Did he ever touch you and make you feel guilty or remorseful? Specifically anytime you'd go against his wishes?" He asked, closing watching for a reaction.

"Well-... Well yes- But I would've felt that way anyway!" You mom defended, "He's not a manipulator! He does it because he cares!!"

"No. He's a manipulator." your uncle chimed in blandly from the doorway.

"You're being biased! You've hated him from the VERY BEGINNING!" Your mom yelled at him.

"And can you blame me!? That cunt cut us all off from seeing you so he could use you like some toy. He's a horrible person!" Your uncle snapped back.

"Yeah!" Brian chimed in from behind his boyfriend, "He's a big, fat meanie!"

"STAY OUT OF THIS BRIAN!" Your mom shouted at the effeminate male.

There was a loud, distressed gasp from behind your uncle and Hawks cut in.

"O~kay, Soap opera central! Let's quit while we're ahead, yeah?" he said as he stepped in-between your mom and uncle. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Lin- But I'll be leaving you here for now, in the safety and care of these two gentleman."

"Thank you Hawks..." Your uncle sighed. Hawks nodded to him, then turned and nodded mom before walking out.

Brian took it from there while Hawks and your uncle headed back to the front of the house.

"Keep her here and I'll arrange for her to stay at a mental health respite. I'll let you know where and when once I have everything sorted." Hawks said to your uncle.

"Thank you so much, Hawks. I really appreciate it... I just... I hate seeing her like this. I want her well again." Your uncle said sadly. Hawks nodded with a reassuring smile as he walked out.

"It's real nice out here." He said, looking over the beautiful, quiet countryside.

"Mhm. Very peaceful." your uncle agreed.

"Perfect place to bring up a family." Hawks mused.

"Well, if you're interested, I saw that the house just over the hillside is up for sale." he hinted, pointing over in the direction of the home and wondering if Hawks was looking for a place.

"Hmm... Is it now?" Hawks asked, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Thanks for that. You might just end up with some new neighbors." he said cheekily.

"If it's you, it'd be a pleasure." your uncle said with a laugh. Hawks smiled and walk a little ways out before turning and flicking your uncle a salute. "Thank you again!" Your uncle called to Hawks as he watched him take off into the sky.