Chapter 8: Battle of Inkopolis Plaza

"Octarian Attack!"

Inklings and octolings who were still gathered in the plaza began to scramble as the octarians began firing at them. Multiple were splatted immediately and others were pushing each other, trying to get away as fast as possible. Everything was in chaos with a mixture of sounds, including octo shots, screaming, and exploding.

"Ahhh!"

Several of the Octarians were laughing, enjoying the easy time they were having. It was a seemingly senseless one sided duel. The firing began to die down soon enough, lasting a total of fifteen seconds.

"Freeze! Don't move!"

The event was fast, able to achieve total supreme dominance. When it ended, the atmosphere had changed. Octarians were holding down several inklings as well as several octolings. Separately, more of them were pointing their weapons at the octolings from Jeweli's splatoon. Adding to the scene, a helicopter came from behind the tower and hovered low over the plaza. More Octarians began to poured out of the helicopter, spreading out to cover the entire plaza. Along with the octarians, the elite octoling from earlier had began to arrive and began surveying the work that was done. She was walking slowly with a smug look, her eyes behind her goggles adding to it. The elite was fund of her achievement but she was disappointed to find that none of the hostages were the splatoon's leader.

In the heat of the chaos, Cayley, Emma and Jeweli had ran for cover and hid inside of Ammo Knights. They had blocked the door and were huffing for air, the adrenaline running through them. They spent a period of time catching their breaths and calming down their heart rates. Cayley was the one to begin talking to both of her friends.

"You guys okay?"

"Aside from the running, I am fine." Emma huffed. None of them had the slightest of ink on them amazingly. All was good until Jeweli did a head count.

"What's Avery?" Jeweli asked with concern, her eyes staring at the door.

"I don't know, it happened so fast that I didn't check to make sure everyone got in." Cayley darted her eyes around at her two friends.

Having feared the worst, she was beginning to feel the emotions run high. She knew Avery was going to be alright thanks to the respawn systems, but there was a more direct question.

"Jeweli... Did you know about this?" Cayley asked the octoling in a quavering voice. The octarians wouldn't have came here to attack the plaza unless they had a reason to. The response from Jeweli through was looking her friend in the eye while maintaining the calm nerve.

"Me and my splatoon are not with them, I just wanted a new life like every other octoling."

The inkling was left looking dazed at the octoling for a moment. She hurriedly peeked out of the door and was able to see Jeweli's whole splatoon on their knees, held at gunpoint. In the middle of the plaza was a single octoling elite. Behind the elite was an armed helicopter. "How the fish did they get a helicopter?"

Cayley slowly shut the door and looked back to Jeweli. "Why are they here then?"

"The larger groups would never communicate to the smaller groups about their plans. Every group has maintained isolation ever since Octavio was defeated. From what I heard, the leaders would meet once a month and only discuss what's been going on in their sectors. Since there are no talks of cooperation between them, some would be doing operations on their own initiative in order to fight on."

This told a lot for Cayley. No communication between hold outs of any size meant Jeweli didn't know that this would happen. This was likely one of a larger holdout of octarians who still pledge their loyalty to Obtavio. That still didn't explain how they managed to get a working helicopter functioning.