17| I Don't Want To Be Queen

HOPE OF THE NORTH

17. I Don't Want To Be Queen

 I Don't Want To Be Queen

❆❆❆

CLARISSA walked through the camp with a letter gripped tightly in one hand and her other hand resting on her swollen stomach which had grown larger as the time passed. "Your Grace," the guards by her uncle's cell greeted her with a bow.

She nodded towards them and they stepped aside to allow her inside the cell. "My beautiful niece. Pregnancy is becoming on you," Jaime remarked as he saw his niece step inside his cell; her face emotionless as she stared down at him.

A smirk crept on his face as he continued speaking; "And a queen as well."

"Quiet! I did not give you permission to speak," Clarissa snarled; her eyes narrowing as she glared down at him.

With the hand that was gripping the letter, she held it in his face and asked; "Is this true?"

Jaime took a moment to read the letter; recognising the writing as Stannis Baratheon's. He remained silent which didn't sit well with Clarissa. "Answer me! Are my siblings yours?" she snapped at him making Jaime let out a sigh.

"You shouldn't have found out like this," he informed her as he looked down at the ground; his mud-filled hair falling in front of his eyes.

"That's why my Mother never cared for me as she did for my siblings. All because you weren't my father," Clarissa's voice was soft as she spoke.

"I'm sorry," Jaime's apology was genuine...probably the most genuine apology he had ever given in his life.

"I don't want your apology. I want this war to end," Clarissa said before she turned away from him and walked out of his cell.

"Clarissa. Wait please!" she could hear her uncle cry out but she ignored him as she made her way to the war tent where she knew her husband and the lords would be.

"Your Grace," Lord Umber greet his queen as she entered the tent.

He stood up from his chair and gave it to her which she accepted, giving the lord a small smile before sitting down. "Thank you, Lord Umber," she thanked him as he returned her smile.

Robb looked over at his wife and his brows frowned at the letter in her hand. She noticed he was staring at the letter in her hand which she handed to him. He read through the letter before looking over at Clarissa. "Is it true?" he asked her to which she nodded.

"Jaime confirmed it. Joffrey is not Robert Baratheon's son nor are Tommen and Myrcella. They are children of incest," she spoke loud enough for the lords to hear.

Lady Stark, who sat on the other side of Clarissa, reached over and gripped Clarissa's hand that was resting on the arms of her chair. "Stannis is laying his claim to the throne as my father's only true heir," Clarissa continued to explain to those in the tent.

"That's not true, Your Grace," Lord Umber pointed out causing her to look at him with frowning brows.

"What are you saying Lord Umber?" Lady Stark asked as she also stared at him with frowning brows.

"Clarissa is Robert Baratheon's heir. There is no denying she is his daughter. She is the rightful heir to the Iron Throne," his words echoed through the tent.

Clarissa felt her whole body freeze. "But I'm a woman," she spoke softly; her eyes not moving from the wolf marker on the map.

"That does not matter. The people will follow you. Over Stannis and even over Renly," Ser Rodrick explained to the young Queen whose eyes moved from the map to look up at him.

Clarissa didn't respond as her eyes moved over from Ser Rodrick and she began to get lost in her thoughts. Robb noticed this as he knelt down in front of her; not before signalling for the others to leave the tent to give the couple privacy. Once everyone had left, Robb placed his hands on her cheeks. "Clarissa are you ok?" he asked his wife whose eyes moved to look at him.

"I'm not sure. I feel like my whole life has been a lie," she informed him; her eyes beginning to water as she tried not to cry.

"Robb, I don't want to be queen," she couldn't hold back her tears as they began to stream down her cheeks.

Robb pulled her into a tight hug; resting her head against his chest and his hand stroking her hair to try and soothe her. "I know but you're not alone," he told her as he felt her arms tighten around his shoulders.

"My father died without knowing the truth. Your father was killed because he knew the truth. My family are monsters," she cried out; feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders.

The couple remained embraced; knowing the target that was already on their backs had grown bigger because of Stannis' letter. Both didn't desire their crowns given to them by their people nor did they desire the Iron Throne. But their people chose them to rule over them and who were they to deny their people. 

❆❆❆