16| Queen In The North

HOPE OF THE NORTH

16. Queen In The North

 Queen In The North

❆❆❆

WHEN Clarissa awoke in the morning, Robb was not beside her. She thought nothing of it as she rose from the bed. She dressed for the day in wool long-sleeved purple dress and a white fur-lined black cloak around her shoulders to keep herself warm. As she ran her fingers through her hair, her brows frowned at a letter on the table. Clarissa grabbed the letter and began reading its contents. She let out a loud gasp as she dropped the letter to place her hands over her mouth. Without a second thought, she rushed out of the tent and made her way through the camp in search of Robb.

Clarissa reached the edge of the camp where there was a small forest. She could hear shouts and the sound of a sword smashing into a tree. She rushed towards the sounds and saw Robb, fully armoured, slashing his sword against a tree whilst sobbing. "Robb," Clarissa tried to get Robb's attention, but it didn't work.

Clarissa could feel her heartache as she saw the man she loved looked so broken. "Robb!" her scream now catch Robb's attention as he stopped swinging his sword and looked up at her.

Robb dropped his sword and made his way to Clarissa. She threw her arms around him as he sobbed into her shoulder. "I'll kill them all. Every one of them. I will kill them all," Robb sobbed as his wife ran her fingers through his curls to try and comfort him.

"They have your sisters. Once they are back, then we will kill them," she told him; no longer thinking the 'them' as her family.

They were the ones who executed Eddard Stark...and they will pay for it.

❆❆❆

Night had now fallen as Robb and Clarissa sat next to each other with the bannermen sat around them.

"The proper course is clear - pledge fealty to King Renly and move south to join our forces with his," Lord Bracken spoke as he walked through those seated at the tables.

"Renly is not the king," Robb pointed out but that didn't stop Lord Bracken from continuing; "You cannot mean to hold to Joffrey, my lord. He put your father to death."

"That doesn't make Renly king. He's Robert's youngest brother. If Bran can't be Lord of Winterfell before me, Renly can't be king before Stannis," Robb explained and many of the other Lords agreed with him as their head nodded. 

"Do you mean to declare us for Stannis?" Lord Bracken asked as Clarissa shook her head. 

"Renly is not right! If we put ourselves behind Stannis..." Lord Glover was stopped by Lord Umber standing up and speaking. 

"My Lords. My Lords! Here is what I say to these two kings. Renly Baratheon is nothing to me, nor Stannis neither. Why should they rule over me and mine from some flowery seat in the South? What do they know of the Wall or the Wolfswood? Even their gods are wrong!" Lord Umber's words caused laughter to break out.

"Why shouldn't we rule ourselves again? It was the dragons we bowed to and now the dragons are dead!" Lord Umber unsheathed his sword and pointed it towards Robb.

"There sits the only king and queen I mean to bend my knee to - the King and Queen in the North!" Lord Umber cried out before kneeling before Robb and Clarissa.

Clarissa stared at him with wide eyes and he gave her a wink. She was surprised that he announced her Queen in the North and not just because she was Robb's wife. She wasn't from the North and her family were the ones they were fighting against. But Lord Umber knew she wasn't some dumb princess. She was Robert Baratheon's daughter and worthy of being their Queen.

There was a moment of silence before Robb rose from his seat; forcing Clarissa to stand with him. "I'll have peace on those terms. They can keep their Red Castle and their iron chair too," Lord Karstark spoke as he stood up from his seat.

He unsheathed his sword and knelt in front of Robb besides Lord Umber before crying out; "The King and Queen in the North!"

"Am I your brother, now and always?" Theon asked as he stood up from his seat. 

"Now and always," Robb answered before Theon removed his sword and moved to kneel in front of Robb.

"My sword is yours in victory and defeat, from this day until my last day," Theon said; his eyes moving between Robb and Clarissa. 

"The King and Queen in the North!" Lord Umber cried out again which made the others around them to repeat his chants. 

"The King and Queen in the North! The King and Queen in the North!" the men chanted as they all unsheathed their swords and knelt around Robb and Clarissa.

Robb looked back at his mother who gave him asmall smile. But like Clarissa, she was also worried about the couple beingdeclared King and Queen. This created a bigger target on their backs. A muchbigger target. 

❆❆❆