02| The Starks

HOPE OF THE NORTH

2. The Starks

 The Starks

❆❆❆

THERE were seven of them in total. From right to left, there was a small boy that Clarissa supposed was the youngest Stark who was standing in front of his mother, Lady Catelyn Stark. Besides the Lady of Winterfell was her husband and the Lord of Winterfell, Eddard Stark who was Clarissa's father closest friend and the Warden of the North.

Beside Lady Catelyn was their eldest son and heir to Winterfell, Robb Stark and by the gods, he was handsome as many women had already informed Clarissa after receiving word that she was travelling to Winterfell. The ladies swooned over the eldest Stark...despite having never seen him as the tales of his good looks were enough to make them fall in love with him. His eyes were startlingly bright blue, and he had auburn curls. Underneath all the furs he wore, Clarissa guessed that he had a toned body too.

Standing next to him was the second oldest Stark, the red-haired Sansa who was the girl that Clarissa's father, King Robert Baratheon, hoped to marry off to Clarissa's younger brother, Joffrey. Clarissa didn't think that Sansa would be too disappointed by her betrothal since she was staring at the young prince on his horse with a love-struck look in her blue eyes. If only she knew...but she wouldn't...not until it was too late, Clarissa thought to herself as a guard offered her his hand to help her out of the wheelhouse.

The youngest Stark girl was next in the line and was looking utterly displeased to be there. She was not as pretty as her older sister, with darker colouring, and was rather small and thin, though most children her age were. Last in line was the second youngest child, Bran Stark who much like his sister, Arya, was small and thin as his furred cloak seemed to make him look even smaller.

The cold air hit Clarissa immediately which sent a shiver down her spine and making her pull her furred cloak around her. As Clarissa's eyes scanned the Northerners, she found that Robb was examining her with a small smile plastered on his lips. Their eyes made contact and Clarissa felt her cheeks became warm. There was something about Robb Stark that draw the princess to him. Very few to no men had attracted her attention and no man had succeeded in keeping it.

The princess ducked her head shyly when she realised, she had been staring at him. Clarissa's father spoke to each of the Stark children individually with quick comments, silent nods and booming laughter. He then moved back to Lord Stark and spoke with a gruff voice; "Take me to your crypts. I want to pay my respects."

The queen had a tight-lipped smile forced upon her features to hide her frown as she argued with her husband in a soft voice; "We've been riding for a month, my love. Surely the dead could wait."

With a merely empty look in her direction, the king spoke the Lord of Winterfell's name and Lord Stark obeyed, leading the king to the crypts where Clarissa had no doubt he was paying respects to his old love, Lyanna Stark. The queen masked her hurt, though Clarissa doubted if she actually felt anything, before striding over to her twin brother and Clarissa's uncle, Jaime.

Clarissa braved one more glance in Robb's direction and found that he was still looking at her. A shy smile graced her features, but she became slightly disheartened when he didn't return with one of this own. Ella appeared beside the princess and glanced between the two of them. Wearing what could only be described as a disapproving look, she ushered Clarissa away. "You ought to rest before the feast tonight," the handmaiden said to the princess as she pushed her away from the boy she been staring at.

Clarissa tore her eyes from him, reluctantly, and let Ella guide her towards the room given to her by the Starks. They got lost on their way since they both forgotten their lack of knowledge of Winterfell castle. 

❆❆❆