14| Lord Frey's Demands

HOPE OF THE NORTH

14. Lord Frey's Demands

 Lord Frey's Demands

❆❆❆

CLARISSA winced when she saw the raven be hit by an arrow before it fell dead. Theon walked over to the raven and removed the message it was carrying before walking over to Robb and handing the rolled-up parchment to him.

Robb quickly read the message before informing those around him what was written on the parchment; "It's a birthday message to his grand-niece Walda."

"Or so Walder Frey would have you think," Theon remarked which made Clarissa tell herself not to laugh.

Walder Frey definitely wasn't smart enough to send a secret message disguised as a simple message to his niece.

"Keep shooting them down. We can't risk Lord Walder sending word of your movements to the Lannisters," Lady Stark explained as she looked over at Robb who stood beside her.

"He's Grandfather's bannerman. We can't expect his support?" he asked which caused Lord Umber to scoff; "Expect nothing of Walder Frey and you'll never be surprised."

They were silent for a moment before Lord Umber signalled them; "Look."

Clarissa looked down the hill to see two bannerman riding towards them.

"Father rots in a dungeon. How long before they take his head? We need to cross the Trident and we need to do it now," Robb urged as he felt his wife's hand reach for his and gripped tightly.

"Just march up to his gates and tell him you're crossing. We've got five times his numbers. You can take the Twins if you have to," Theon suggested which Lord Umber disagreed with; "Not in time. Tywin Lannister marches north as we speak.

"The Freys have held the crossing for 600 years, and for 600 years they have never failed to exact their toll," Lady Stark explained making Clarissa fear for what Lord Frey would request from them.

"Have my horse saddled and ready," Robb ordered causing Clarissa's head to turn towards him and stared at him with frowning brows.

"Enter the Twins alone and he'll sell you to the Lannisters as he likes," Lord Umber remarked which Theon added to; "Or throw you in a dungeon. Or slit your throat."

"My father would do whatever it took to secure our crossing. Whatever it took. If I'm going to lead this army, I can't have other men doing my bargaining for me," Robb argued as Lady Stark began forming a plan.

"I agree. I'll go," she spoke which caused the men surrounding to cry out; "You can't!"

"I have known Lord Walder since I was a girl. He would never harm me," Lady Stark justified her plan; looking over at Clarissa who nodded in agreement.