06| The Wedding

HOPE OF THE NORTH

6. The Wedding

 The Wedding

❆❆❆

"YOU remember what I told you about your wedding night?" the queen asked Clarissa as she was sat in the chair beside Clarissa while Ella was doing her hair behind her.

Looking at Ella through the mirror, Clarissa sighed and recited the words that her mother told her when she first bled; "You will not feel pleasure. You will lay there until your husband has spilled his seed inside you before he retreats to the opposite side of the bed while others watch on to make sure the marriage is consummated."

Clarissa felt her mother kiss her forehead before retreating the room, allowing Clarissa to release the breath she didn't realise she was holding. "Don't listen to what the Queen says. My husband was very kind towards me on our wedding night and many nights after that until..." Ella stopped mid-sentence and Clarissa grabbed her hand in comfort.

Ella's husband had passed away a year ago from sickness, leaving the young handmaiden devastated. She had been lucky unlike most women in the Westeros as she was able to marry the man she loved.

A knock broke Clarissa from her thoughts before telling the person that they could enter the room. The owner of the knock revealed to be her father who held a yellow cloak that was embellished with black stags in his hands. Ella quickly finished pining the princess' hair before clipped a crown into her hair.

Clarissa's dark hair was curled with the front section of her hair pinned into a bun and the rest left flowing down her back. Her crown represented small antlers protruding from the top of her head and was pinned into place to make unable to fall out. Her white dress was beautiful as it had long sleeve made of tulle that flowed down her arms and was cuffed around her wrist. The slit in the sleeves allowed her to move her arms without restriction. The bodice of the dress was tight, and the neckline was heart-shaped that accentuates her décolletage. Clarissa's waist was emphasised by a jewelled belt and the skirt of the dress puffed out at her waist. The skirt fell to the floor and made of the same material as the sleeves. On her feet, she wore simple white sandals as they would not be seen because they were hidden by the skirt of the dress and she would be walking through the snow in the Godswood.

The wedding was to be both the Old Gods and The Seven as Clarissa wished to respect the Northerner's religion as well as her own. At first, the queen wasn't happy with this decision, but the princess informed her that if she was to be married into a northern family, she would respect their religion by making them viewed as married in the eyes of both the Seven and the Old Gods.

"Don't let your mother hear this but you are the most beautiful woman in all of the Seven Kingdoms," her father told her and Clarissa didn't know whether or not her eyes were playing with her, but she could see tears welling in his eyes.

She smiled brightly towards him before wrapping her arms around him, resting her against his chest. "You will always own half of my heart, Father," she told him as she felt his grip tighten on her.

After what felt like days, her father finally let her go and wrapped her in the yellow cloak. Once the cloak was clipped around her neck, he held out his arm for her to grab which she held onto tightly, completely nervous about marrying Robb. He walked her out of the room with Ella following closely behind them before she joined the crowd that was waiting in front of the weirwood heart tree.

"It's time Clarissa," her father informed her which made her tighten her grip.

She gripped his arm so hard that she thought she would bruise him, but he placed a calming hand on hers which made her nerves die down slightly.

Clarissa pulled a brave face as her father and she began to walk down the path that was lit with lanterns where Robb would be waiting at the end for her.

As her blue eyes looked up from the snow-covered ground to see Robb, she noticed he was as nervous as she was, but she saw his eyes widened when he saw. At one point, she thought he forgot how to breathe. Clarissa didn't pay any attention to all the looks she was receiving from those in the crowd; her eyes were only on Robb which seemed to be the same for him.

Once her father and Clarissa reached the end of the aisle, Lord Stark spoke; "Who comes before the Old Gods this night?"

"Clarissa, of the House Baratheon, comes here to be wed. A woman grown, trueborn and noble. She comes to beg the blessing of the Gods. Who comes to claim her?" her father spoke, and Robb stepped forward.

"Robb, of House Stark, heir to Winterfell and Warden of the North. Who gives her?" Robb announced his claim and her father answered him; "Robert, of the House Baratheon, her father."

"Lady Clarissa, do you take this man?" Lord Stark asked and Clarissa answered; "I take this man."

Her father grabbed her hand and placed it into Robb's outstretched one before sitting down in the crowd as she now stood beside Robb in front of the Septon to continue onto the Seven's way of marriage. "You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection," the Septon spoke.

She turned her back towards Robb and he unclipped her yellow cloak before wrapped a grey-coloured one around her shoulders. Clarissa turned around to face the Septon as the two now stood side by side. "My lords, my ladies, we stand here in the sight of gods and men to witness the union of man and wife. One flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever," the Septon proclaimed as Robb and Clarissa held hands and held them out in front of them for the Septon to wrap a ribbon around their hands.

"Let it be known that Clarissa of House Baratheon and Robb of House Stark are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder. In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity," the Septon spoke as he tied the ribbon into a knot but once he was finished, he untied the knot.

"Look upon each other and say the words," he commanded the pair and they turned to face other before in unison, reciting the words; "Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger. I am his/hers and he/she is mine. From this day, until the end of my days."

Once the words were said, the Septon signalled Robb to kiss his bride and Robb grabbed Clarissa's face in his hands and pressed his lips against hers. She kissed him back and by the gods, he could kiss. Once they pulled away, the crowd clapped then the feast began.

The king was drinking as per usual but Clarissa noticed he was holding himself back; probably so he could remember his daughter's wedding tomorrow. "Would you like to dance?" her now-husband whispered into her ear from where he was sat beside her.

She nodded excitedly making him grab her hand tightly and pull her into the open space in the middle of the room. She felt Robb spin her around which made her gasp in shock as they now stood with their chests pressed together. They both began to laugh and smile brightly as they danced around the room. It felt like there was no one else present in the room; just them. 

❆❆❆