Chapter Twenty-Eight.

For a moment there was silence as Harry, Ron, Ginny, Mattheo, and Lockhart stood in the doorway, covered in much and slime and (in Harry's case) blood. Then there was a scream.
"Ginny!" 
It was Mrs. Weasley, who had been sitting crying in front of the fire. She leapt to her feet, closely followed by Mr. Weasley, and both of them flung themselves on their daughter.
Harry,  however, was looking past them. Professor Dumbledore was standing by the mantelpiece, beaming, next to Professor McGonagall, who was taking great, steadying gasps, clutching her chest. Fawkes went whooshing past Harry's ear and settled on Dumbledore's shoulder, just as Harry found himself and Ron being swept into Molly's tight embrace.
"You saved her! You saved her! How did you do it?"

"I think we'd all like to know that," said Professor McGonagall weakly.

Molly let go of Harry, who hesitated for a moment, then walked over to the desk and laid upon it the Sorting Hat, the ruby-encrusted sword, and what remained of Tom's diary.
Then he started telling them everything. For nearly a quarter of an hour, he spoke into the rapt silence: He told them about hearing the disembodied voice, how Hermione had finally realized that he was hearing a basilisk and (Y/n) discovered it was coming from the pipes; how he, Ron, and (Y/n) followed the spiders into the forest, that Aragog had told them where the last victim of the basilisk had died; how (Y/n) suggested that Moaning Myrtle had been the victim, and that Harry guessed that the entrance of the Chamber of Secrets might be in her bathroom...

"Very well," Professor McGonagall prompted him as he paused, "so you found out where the entrance was— breaking a hundred school rules into pieces along the way, I might add— but how on earth did you all get out of there alive, Potter?"

So Harry, how voice now growing hoarse from all this talking, told them about Fawkes' timely arrival and about the Sorting Hatt giving him the sword. But then he faltered. He had so far avoided mentioning Tom's diary— or Ginny. She was standing with her head against Molly's shoulder, and tears were still coursing silently down her cheeks. What if they expelled her? Harry thought in panic. Tom's diary didn't work anymore... How could they prove it had been he who'd made her do it all?
Instinctively, Harry looked at Dumbledore, who smiled faintly, the firelight glancing off his half-moon spectacles.

"What interests me most," said Dumbledore gently, "is how Lord Voldemort managed to enchant Ginny, when my sources tell me he is currently in hiding in the forests of Albania."
Relief— warm, sweeping, glorious relief— swept over Harry.

"W-what's that?" said Arthur in a stunned voice. "You-Know-Who? En-enchant Ginny? But Ginny's not... Ginny hasn't been... has she?"

"It was the diary," said Harry quickly, picking it up and showing it to Dumbledore. "Tom Riddle wrote it when he was sixteen..."

Dumbledore took the diary from Harry and peered keenly down his long, crooked nose at its burnt and soggy pages.
"Brilliant," he said softly. "Of course, he was probably the most brilliant student Hogwarts has ever seen." He turned around to the Weasleys, who were still looking utterly bewildered.
"Very few people know that Lord Voldemort was once called Tom Riddle. I taught him myself, fifty years ago, at Hogwarts. He disappeared after leaving this school... travelled far and wide... sank so deeply into the Dark Arts, consorted with the very worst of our kind, underwent many dangerous, magical transformations, that when he resurfaced as Lord Voldemort, he was barely recognizable. Hardly anyone connected Lord Voldemort with the clever, handsome boy who was once Head Boy here."

"But, Ginny," said Molly. "What's our Ginny got to do with— with— him?"

"His d-diary!" Ginny sobbed. "I've b-been writing in it, and he's been w-writing back all year—"