Chapter Twenty-One.

(Y/n) sat with the mysterious box she had gotten on Christmas morning. Upon hearing scratching at the door, she morphed back into her regular self and stepped out of the room Remus was sleeping in. 
"Hi, Siri," (Y/n) greeted kindly. "Already eat?" The dog seemed to nod as they headed downstairs. "You know, I found it extremely sexist that you sent Harry a Firebolt but sent me perfume. I play Quidditch, too, you know?" she said, her tone teasing. "But I did enjoy the perfumes for the three hours I had them before Professor McGonagall confiscated them to check for poison. I reckon they're in Snape's care now—"

"Snape? Really?" Sirius groaned. "There's so many things wrong with that sentence. I might as well get you something new if he touches it. And Minnie! Gosh, Minnie! How dare she assume I'd ever poison someone!"

"She confiscated Harry's broom, too."

"That's ridiculous," Sirius groaned, collapsing in the wooden chair at a table. "Anyways, sorry about the perfumes. If it makes you feel better, I'll—"

"I was joking, Sirius!" (Y/n) giggled. "They're pretty and I like pretty things."

"I still feel bad."

"If you want to make it up to me, be there for my game against Slytherin so that we can later laugh about how slow my broom is but how great of a player I am," (Y/n) said. Sirius smirked, shaking his head.

"Deal. Just don't expect to see me."

"Aye-aye, captain," (Y/n) said. "Anyways, I have some questions." She placed the box on the table and Sirius rose an eyebrow. "For starters, did you get the clothes I sent as a sort of present?"

"I did. I just don't want them dirty."

"Aw. How sweet," (Y/n) cooed. "Anyways, I got this for Christmas yesterday. It came with a note that said I'm supposed to get them if you escape Azkaban, so I thought why not read it together, you know? I haven't touched it since then."

"Me? It's related to me?"

"Mhm," (Y/n) hummed, opening the box. "I wonder what order they're supposed to be read in..." She opened the topmost journal.

(Y/M/N) WHISTLER. DO NOT OPEN OR
I WILL HEX YOU.

"Oh. They're Mum's," (Y/n) said. 

"Your mum really fought for me, you know?" Sirius informed. "I won't ever forget that and eventually, when that filthy rat pays, I'll find a way to make it up. Maybe take you in. When you were still a babe and the Order of the Pheonix was still around, your mum would pass you around and would have someone be in charge of watching you during the meeting. Same thing happened with Harry. Remus got stuck with the kids the most." He smiled fondly. That smile shortly faded.
"...do you miss them?" Sirius asked. (Y/n) looked up from her mother's writing in partial alarm.

"Who?" Sirius gave (Y/n) a look. 

"You know who. Your mum and dad. Don't you miss them?"

"Of course I do," (Y/n) said quietly. "I miss being nurtured by my mother. I miss being praised, no matter of what I did by my father. I miss hearing them sing me to sleep. I miss the caring touch of my mother— I miss the comfort behind my father's words— I miss..." she rambled rather quickly. "I miss being loved and fee...ling important." Sirius looked surprised.

"Hey, hey hey," he murmured, walking around the table and crouching at her side. "You still can be all that. And you still are all that. You're speaking as if you're done for."

"You're right. I'm not done for. I've still got to be people's last choice."

"How can you be someone's last choice?" Sirius chuckled.