Genius Wei Wuxian

Wei Wuxian was sitting in his room. He was hunched over his desk, his mouth half open and with his tongue sticking out in concentration. There was not much place on his desk anymore because it was covered in ideas for new talismans and inventions which could, and hopefully once would when he made them work properly, help cultivators and common people alike to make their life easier and safer.

If only he could make this work! He had been working on this invention for several months already and he still could not tackle all the problems. He wanted to make a compass which would be able to detect resentful energy in a given area and navigate the cultivators to the source of it. It would make night hunts so much faster and less dangerous if they would know where the resentful energy was coming from.

Until now though, he had no luck. The compass would not point in the right direction or it would simply not move at all. It also required a big amount of spiritual energy for activation which was less than ideal. Wei Wuxian knew that if he wanted to make this accessible to a larger number of cultivators, it would need to be less tiring to use. Even he could hardly sustain it for more than several minutes and he had quite vast reserves of spiritual energy, a lot larger than the peers of his age.

Moreover, he did not want to content himself with making the compass be useful for cultivators only. He wanted to also make it so that common people with no spiritual energy could profit from the invention as well. It would help them to avoid areas haunted by resentful energy, thus making their lives safer.

He could however not figure out why it was not working! This was one of the few inventions that he struggled with this much. Usually, he was good at figuring the core of the problem and making the talisman or invention work eventually. He would not lie, it was not always easy and he had been scolded by Madame Yu for making something explode so many times he stopped counting them, but this was harder than those previous times.

He had been repeatedly told by Jiang Cheng that he should just abandon this idea and that it would not work in the end. He refused to give up, how would he be able to be called the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple if he could not uphold the motto? 'To do the impossible'. So if Jiang Cheng told him it was impossible, he just wanted to succeed even more.

He was sure that if – no, not if, when – his compass would start working, it would be a very useful tool that all cultivators would want to use during night hunts. He would let his uncle sell it to whomever would want it, he always did this to pay for the damages caused during the invention process.

But he would never let Uncle Jiang ask money from poor common people. After all, he was doing it mainly for them. He wanted to keep them safe and see them smiling instead of being scared if resentful creatures roamed the area where they lived.

Thinking about the goal which inspired him to start making an invention made him excited every single time. He renewed his efforts and concentrated back on the compass.