Denial

Wei Wuxian came out of the Demon Slaughtering Cave together with the juniors and Lan Zhan. When he saw the cultivators gathered outside, he was not all that surprised. It seemed like the whole cultivation world was there; every small and big sect, including the four great ones had their disciples and sect leaders there. It really was a siege. And all just to hunt him down and destroy him.

He watched as all the juniors he and Lan Zhan had just rescued run to their families and sects and how their parents, siblings and fellow disciples welcomed them happily. He was glad for them, at least they had still their families and friends and would surely have a bright future.

Even Lan Zhan left his side and Wei Wuxian wistfully watched him go to Lan Qiren together with the Gusu Lan sect juniors. Although his heart was breaking, he was happy for him. At least now, no one would criticise Lan Zhan anymore because of Wei Wuxian. He would do just fine without having the Yiling Patriarch to weight him down and soil his pristine reputation. Yes, this would surely be better for Lan Zhan.

And then, something which had shocked him and almost made him cry happened. The juniors went to join the Gusu Lan sect party and stood behind their elder. Lan Zhan however continued standing in the same spot where he had greeted his uncle. Lan Qiren was scowling at him and demanded: "Wangji, come here!"

Wei Wuxian was already saying his silent goodbyes to the only person who had stood by his side in the last life and this one. The one person who had never truly doubted him, not like Jiang Cheng or Lan Xichen. The only person he wanted to stay next to for the rest of his life.

Perhaps for the first time in his life, Lan Zhan disobeyed his uncle. He stood firmly there, facing against the whole cultivation world as if he had done that countless times before. Without any fear of hesitation, he looked like a perfect piece of jade, unmoving yet carrying with it the weight far greater than its own size suggested. It almost looked like Lan Zhan had decided to oppose everyone there and stay on the side of the Yiling Patriarch. Everyone was watching him in utter bewilderment. Everyone including Wei Wuxian himself.

He could not believe that Lan Zhan was still willing to be on his side, to protect him and defend him against the whole cultivation world. He knew he should let him go, to let him live a happy life with no disaster of a Yiling Patriarch in it, but he just could not. His heart was aching for him and no matter how much he was trying to persuade himself to let go, it felt physically impossible. His body was apparently having a mind of its own; or the long supressed desire and longing had finally overwhelmed his rational thinking and Wei Wuxian went over to the Second Jade's side.

And so, they stood there, facing the whole cultivation world. Wei Wuxian was no stranger to that, he could bear it, he had had in the past. But this time, he was not alone, he had Lan Zhan by his side and it was making such a tremendous difference that he wanted to cry.

Just seconds ago, if Lan Zhan was not standing tall next to him, he would have accepted his fate quietly. But now, he was about to fight the accusations which were being thrown at him. He had tried to defend himself once in the Nightless City but it got him killed because no one was willing to listen to him. This time around though, people actually listened, and that was all that was needed really.

He did not know from where the warmth in his chest had appeared, but despite the circumstances, he was not despairing. He was actually hopeful for once, hopeful that he would be heard out.