Pain tolerace

When Wei Wuxian saw that Wang Lingjiao was looming above a terrified looking MianMian, he could not help himself but to shudder. The Lanling Jin sect disciple looked so small and weak at that moment, it reminded him of Jiang Yanli. He did not think twice and jumped in front of the branding iron before it could hurt the girl in any way.

He felt the iron hit his chest, just above where his heart was beating like crazy. At first, he did not feel anything but the adrenaline coursing through his veins. He quickly tried to get up, he was too easy of a target laying on the ground like this. He also needed a new weapon to replace the one he had sacrificed in order to throw it at Wang Lingjiao. He had to get back to fighting, the Wens were still overpowering everyone and he had to help before someone would get seriously hurt.

It was only when he had managed to sit that the pain let itself be known. He looked down to his chest but could not see anything. He could not tell how serious or light his injury was because his clothes were obscuring his vision. He reached his hand up to touch it and inspect it more closely.

Bad idea, he realized a heartbeat later. The movement pulled at the apparently burned skin and it made him wince in pain. His chest now started burning and throbbing and he decided that it would be a bad idea to actually touch it.

He looked around, a little dazed, his eyes stinging with unshed tears. It hurt, it hurt so much he wanted to cry. He was used to being injured, even to small burns which he often sustained when some of his inventions exploded. But this was on a different level. It was worse than anything he had experienced previously. Or worse than most of it at least. He remembered his time in the streets and the dogs biting him, that had been perhaps in the same league. Just barely though.

He shook his head slightly to clear it. He did not have time to think about this. He saw Jiang Cheng fighting with Wen Zhuliu and the other disciples were facing off with the Tortoise of Slaughter, he had to help.

He winced again when he was getting up and supressed a pained groan which was threatening to get out of his mouth. He did not want to worry anyone with an injury such as this. Once they would all get safely out of here, he could clean in and find himself something to bandage it. There was no time now, he had to fight.

He would never be able to forgive himself if he would be stopped by such a minor injury. He would not be able to live with himself if he let it slow him down and his family or friends would get hurt because of that. Better him than them, that much had always been clear to him. He did not want to be the only one left alive again.

When he finally managed to stand up and find himself a weapon, the Wens were already retreating together with Wen Zhuliu. He only started to breathe freely when he confirmed that Jiang Cheng had not been hurt. He joined the fight against the Tortoise of the Slaughter which was still ongoing, not paying any attention to the painful pulling and burning of his chest.