Truth serum

Wei Wuxian was sitting next to his bed in his room in the Cloud Recesses with a bottle of Emperor's Smile in his hand. He was watching the unexpected occupant of it with adoring eyes. Lan Zhan looked so peaceful and ethereal when he was sleeping soundly like this. Even if it had been Wei Wuxian who had made him drunk and caused him to pass out in the first place. He did not regret it in the slightest, Lan Zhan was being really adorable.

In Wei Wuxian's defence, he could not have known that the Second Jade could not handle his alcohol at all. He had thought that he would just let him have one cup, or preferably indulge together with him, Jiang Cheng and Nie Huisang, so he would be just as guilty of breaking the Gusu Lan sect rules as them. Then, there would be no way that they were getting punished because Lan Zhan would have to punish himself together with them. Who would be so foolish to do that?

However, it did not go according to his plan at all and that was why he had the second on the list of eligible young masters in his bed, passed out like a log. A shining and very elegant one though.

He took another sip of the wine and felt the liquid pleasantly burn his throat and settle nicely inside his stomach. Whenever he drunk, he always felt like this, like he could see the world more clearly and blurrier at the same time. It always made him think about all sort of things. He was in a mood to talk. But there was no one for him to have a conversation with.

He turned towards the only other person in the room and noticed that Lan Zhan was awake now, if still looking dazed. A little teasing got the expected result, the Gusu Lan sect disciple was immediately more alert and prepared to share a few words with him. Their bickering went back and forth. Although it was not the topic he had envisaged before, it was still a good one.

"I am laughing at you, at the Gusu Lan sect with all their rules. You will never be able to find anyone who would want to marry you. You are too rigid. You will be alone your whole life."

"That is fine," replied Lan Zhan and it made Wei Wuxian look at him instantly.

He could not understand how the other could be this calm when admitting such a sad thing. He knew from experience that family was the most important thing in one's life and he would not be able to live without it. After losing his parents at a young age and having to fight for himself in the streets of Yiling for several years, he could appreciate the feeling of having someone who would always support him and be there for him no matter what.

Even if his new family was not perfect, he could not even imagine his life without them. They all cared in their own ways.

He was still in talkative mood brought out by the wine and he started sharing stories about his youth with Lan Zhan. He was now sorry that he had teased the other boy in such a way, Lan Zhan must have been hurt about his thoughtless comments aimed at his long gone family. He also knew how hard it was to lose them. At that moment, Wei Wuxian pitied them both and wished that they would find happiness with their own cultivation partners one day.