2 • Kind

A heavy weight is lifted off from my waist and I awake from the cold nipping my bare shoulders from where the blanket has moved. I keep my eyes closed, too tired to even open them.

He stands and there's a slight rustling but I don't hear his footsteps receding. I feel him drape the blanket over me, his fingers brushing my skin and I'm about to relish in the warmth yet it's gone before I could even lean into it. I'll pretend to be asleep for a little longer.

"Breakfast. But no fucking kiwis or pineapples. And knock lightly," he sneers. I'm allergic to kiwis and pineapples.

The click of his phone is heard and so are his footsteps so I groggily open my eyes. I'm thrilled I did because I catch his back muscles contracting as he walks and have to check for drool on the pillow. Prominent red lines drag themselves down his toned back.

Oops, that's my fault.

He's wearing pants, much to my dismay but at least he isn't wearing a shirt.

"Are you not going to get out of bed?" He says as he takes a seat at his desk.

I shake my head and snuggle into the blanket, "I'm cold."

I hear him scribble on a piece of paper. "What's the time?" He replies, "9:45," and there's a knock on the door.

That was quick. Considering, he owns the hotel the workers probably wait for his call.

Luca pays no attention to the woman who rolls in a cart and she quickly scurries out, with her head down, as if she was forced to do this. He throws his black shirt off the floor at me and I sit up, buttoning it over myself. The fabric does nothing to block out the cold but I'm enveloped in his scent that instantly warms me up.

He sits on the bed opposite me and places a tray between us. It contains a glass of orange juice and a bowl of oats drizzled in syrup with a topped variety of berries, the exact type of breakfast I would eat.

I look up at him to find him already staring at me. "What else do you know about me?"

There's a slight movement of his features and I can't place the emotion before he searches my face and says, "I know enough."

He knows my allergies and the hatred I have for my father. Does he know why I hate him? Does he know that I ran away to Europe and used my 'business trip' as a cover-up? Does he know why I ran away to Europe?

"Is that why you're being so nice to me?"

Questioningly, he raises an eyebrow. "I'm in your bed eating the breakfast you just ordered for me, which you took the care to ensure that it doesn't include any of my only two allergies, after a one-night stand despite your mention of not being into that," I pause for a second, "we're not even allowed to speak to one another."

"And why is that?"

Because you're my father's enemy and he'd be overjoyed to finally have a valid excuse to kill me.

"My problem is not with you or your brother nor do I have a problem with your father. He started this war to spark up his reputation following your departure because of all the allies he lost," he explains. I take a sip of the orange juice and start to eat breakfast.

That makes sense.

My father's top priority was always his reputation and he would go through any means to make sure he keeps it. I was his pawn in his power-hungry game but when I called checkmate, the king was left unguarded so he attacked the king on the other side of the board which led to his defeat.

"Deep down, he always hated you and your family. Said you were a threat to him because he wanted to be the only Italian mafia," my eyes search his for any cracks in his facade but come up empty.