32 • Loved

TW: Self-harm and sexual assault

"Thanks, Marco. You don't need to wait for me, I'll get my brother to take me back," I tell him as he parks outside the door of my – old? – house.

"Wait one second," his phone rings and he stops me as I'm about to leave and puts the phone to his ear.

"Jeez, cousin, you sound a bit frustrated. Now that you're finally getting some, want me to drop her off so you can add to that list on her neck?" Marco wiggles his eyebrows at me with a smirk and I flush bright red, scowling at him.

"I don't know why you're glaring at him. We all know you want it to happen again," Maya teases.

"Trust me, she wants more than a couple of hickeys," Oakley scoffs, swirling his iced tea, and glances back at her. Maya laughs.

"Thy King has granted your permission, your majesty," Marco says in a posh voice and gestures a curtsy with his hand.

I grin at him and lean forward to the passenger seat where Oakley is drinking his iced tea. "See ya later, Oak," I kiss his cheek and he offers me a sip of the drink and a goodbye.

"Where's my kiss?" Marco frowns and I roll my eyes placing a haste kiss on his cheek. "I'm never washing this cheek."

I hug Maya goodbye and Marco waits until I'm inside before driving away.

When I pass the office, I hear excessive arguing and it reminds me of all the times I was called in there, all the times I was scolded in there, and all the times I'd leave there with a fresh patch of bruises.

I wait while I catch my breath and then carry on further to Dante's office. He turned the old conference room into his office because he knew what Ricardo's office does to me.

When I push the door open, Dante is sitting in the head chair, running his hands through his hair in stress while a hefty man in a suit sits in front of him.

"Rose," he stands when he sees me and the man stiffens, "I didn't know you were coming today."

"I thought I'd see how you're doing," I walk around the desk and he hugs me in greeting.

"This is Brady Tiffin. He brings in the supply of pearls from the Middle East," he informs me and gestures to the man who stands abruptly.

"Miss Romano," he nervously clears his throat and shakily holds his hand out. I'm not in any way scary, so I don't know why he's this uneasy. I shake his hand but don't miss the way his eyes flit to the bracelet on my wrist and my ring finger.

"We were just discussing a potential partnership. Mr Tiffin proposed that if we sell him the land behind the Dortmund Estate, he'll refurbish it into a jeweller shop," Dante fills me in.

"That estate is not for sale," I declare.

"But imagine the profits you'll get. They're pearls, Miss Romano. Real pearls," Brady insists, and I scrutinise his desperation.

"Are you sure about that?" I tilt my head to the side, and he gulps.

"You remember your trip to Noir Park Casino when you traded in those pearls because you ran out of money? Luca and I had them tested and they smashed into pieces. They were glass."

Brady's eyes widen and he stammers, "Armani took more from me that day than he was supposed to. I couldn't afford-"

"He may be many things but a liar or a cheat is not any of them," I bite back, "don't think you can come in here, try fooling my brother and bad mouth my boyfriend, Mr Tuffin."

"Frankie," Dante calls for the guard just outside and he enters. "Yes, sir."

"Show him the door," Dante orders.