31 • Maternal

We were on our way to the grocery store, but Marco said that Luca needed to speak with me, so we made a quick pit stop in which Oakley said it won't be quick at all. I scowled at him, and Maya agreed with him, so I scowled at her too.

Also, don't ask why everyone is coming on a trip to the grocery store. The food in the house was running out so I thought, as I'm not doing anything, I'd go and get some more. Usually, Sabrina would go, but I'm getting to the point where I'm fussy with the food I eat, and it's tiring going out to get a snack whenever I want it.

Obviously, I can't leave the house without Marco seeing as he's my bodyguard. Maya is going on a camping trip next weekend with her friend. Lastly, Oakley was crying about how we always leave him out and jumped in the car before we could drive away.

When I eventually reach the top floor of the building, I put my sunglasses on my head and step out of the elevator to be met with the same dark interior. What is it with Luca and his fondness for dark things?

The secretary is sitting at the desk clacking at the keys with a blank expression on her face. Her short, black hair is straightened to perfection and brushes her shoulders in blades. The top three buttons of her shirt are undone, undoubtedly making her breasts look larger.

She looks me up and down with her midnight gaze and says with a malicious tone, "the Glass Palace is down the road."

The brothel.

I bite the inside of my mouth to stop myself from being affected by her words. She's showing more cleavage than me and she calls me the prostitute?

I inhale a subtle breath and rest my arms on the marble desk in front of her.

"Actually, I'm here to see Luca," I smile politely and put extra emphasis on his name not missing the second her features twitch when I say it.

"Do you have an appointment?" She raises her eyebrow with a sly smirk, challenging me. If I had an appointment, I would've had to book it through her, and we both know that I didn't.

"I don't need one," I utter with every bit of my confidence.

Her black eyes narrow into slits at me and if I was a scared, little girl I would've whimpered back. But I hold my head up high, not letting her break through me.

"Whatever you're trying to trick me with, it won't work," she snarls and jumps her eyes back to the computer screen, "you can drop the act because I know you're just trying to get in his pants. But that's not going to happen. I've known him long enough to know that I am the only woman in his life. In fact, he's even gifting me a personalised, 500K, diamond bracelet."

Her eyes gleam at that last bit and it's now I realise that she doesn't just see him as a boss. If she knows him as well as she thinks, she must know about his celibacy and his lack of relationships. 

Leaning forward, I muster back my confidence and lace my voice with an emotion that sounds like the clap of thunder.

"I'm not trying to get into his pants because I've already been there. It's obvious your little fantasy relationship with him isn't going to work. If you knew him as well as you said, you'd know that he does have a woman in his life now and he's not open to any options."

I'm sure to rest my left arm on my elbow, displaying the dazzling bracelet she was gawking about. Her eyes flit to it and the light in her eyes dies. Her dark eyes glare at it as she gapes at the bracelet.

"I can let myself in, thank you very much. And I'll be sure to let him know about your amazing hospitality to his girlfriend." I smile at her.

She's stunned, to say the least, and her features harden into ice as I spin on my heels and stroll towards his office door.