36 • Cherishing

"Hurry up, Marco! They'll be here any second," I shout up at him.

He's standing on a ladder fixing the birthday banner to the wall. Initially, Maya was supposed to go on a camping trip with her friends and we would've thrown a party for her when she got back. However, none of the geniuses checked the weather and it's going to be heavy rain for the next two weeks. They were halfway there and had to turn back so Brando had to go pick her up from her friend's house.

Luckily, we got given a four hours notice. Oakley managed to bake a cake, as that was our initial plan, and Brando made the dinner which Marco and I had to put in the dishes.

"The tape is stuck to my fucking hand," he flails his hand around as if the sticky tape will magically fall off.

"What the fuck is this shit doing in my living room?" Luca snaps and points up at the banner with narrowed eyes.

"It's Maya's birthday," I reprimand him, furrowing my eyebrows in obviousness. I cut off another square of tape and go on my tiptoes, holding my lower back, as I pass it to Marco.

"It's hideous," his face scrunches, adorably, as his eyes rake over the white and yellow colours of the banner. She loves daisies so I made sure it had them in it. I have to point out that it's the only spot of colour in this room that's probably why he's so annoyed.

"Sorry Dracula, I forgot you like everything dark," I roll my eyes at him.

"See, if I spoke to him like that, I would've been dead by now!" Marco exclaims, the ladder creaking as he steps down it.

"Shut up, Marco," Luca and I both say simultaneously.

"Wow," he mumbles sarcastically, "talk about bros over hoes."

Marco runs a hand through his light hair, missing a piece of tape sticking to it. Shall I tell him? Nah.

I wait for Luca's insult at him, but it never comes. Turning to him, I gasp holding a melodramatic hand to my mouth, "you don't hate him?!"

"What?"

"You didn't threaten to decapitate him like you usually do," I turn to Marco, humour dripping from my tone, "oh no. Do you know what this means, Marco? I think the big bad mafia leader is becoming...kind."

I stress the syllables and shiver at the assonance of that word. Marco replicates my action with a mortified look.

Luca rolls his eyes, but I see the curve of his lips. "If I hated him, I would've never entrusted you to him. He's my little brother. It's normal for me to make jokes about killing him."

"Thanks, cousin. Love you too," Marco grins patting Luca's shoulder and then retracts his hand. He then leans towards me and whispers, "it's his love language. So, expect all that choking, kinky shit during sex."

My face beams red as Marco chuckles loudly and I slap him repeatedly on the arm.

"What's that on your neck?" Luca asks, his eyes squinted at Marco. Oh shit, the hickeys. He must've accidentally rubbed a bit of the concealer off.

I sense Marco's waves of panic. I need to do something. Anxiously, I rub my hands over my belly.

Oh my gosh! I'm pregnant! I don't know why I always forget about this.

Without thought, I hold a hand to my back and fake a groan of pain. Luca's attention instantly directs to me, and he steps closer, placing an arm around my waist and rubbing electric circles on my back. "You okay?"

I nod my head and glance back at Marco who mouths, 'thank you'.

"Where are your glasses? You know you have to wear them," I admire the concern in his eyes. I never thought he'd ever be this concerned for me, I remember that day he threatened me with pure malice in his eyes, but now he's caring for me with only worry in them.