14 • Careless

Luca

"Here's 10k. I'll transfer the rest to you when it's done," the man clicks the briefcase open and pushes it over to me. Money stacked in thousands smirks back at me.

While I'm mesmerised by the stacks, he adds, "if you kill his wife too, I'll double the amount."

I glance at him with a stern look in my steel eyes, "triple it."

"I-I can't afford that," he stammers, fixing the tie of his suit. Judging by his 50k Rolex and Hugo Boss suit, he is perfectly capable of giving me that skinny of money.

"I'm sure your wife and children would like to know why you want me to kill your mistress and her husband," I sit back in my chair and twiddle my ring between my fingers, watching as his expression shifts to horror.

I don't know this man but it's clear why he wants them dead by how desperate he is.

"I'll get your money," he immediately blurts, his face paling and I smirk in victory. Too easy.

Leaning forward, I stab one of my perfectly-sharpened pencils into his hand and he screams.

"If you even fucking think about double-crossing me, I won't just kill you. I'll ruin your pathetic life, watch you suffer in it and then kill you."

"Yes, sir," he nods frantically and I take the pencil out. Immediately, he cradles bleeding hand.

"Get the fuck out of here."

Mancini trips the man up on his way out and closes the door behind him. Then, he turns to me with an appalled look in his blue eyes. "$500,000! On a bracelet. For a woman."

Ignoring him, I roll the sleeves of my shirt up.

"Boss," he stresses and my attention refocuses, "500k. That's half a million. Do you know how much stock we could've invested that money in?"

I run my hand over the leather briefcase. "It doesn't matter. I'm rich. One month of loss won't have a major effect on me."

"But still, you could've-."

"She needed it," I cut in and my tone takes the authoritative approach when. Leaning forward, I rest my elbows on my desk.

"Why do you even care?" Mancini shoots through barred teeth, "she's Ricardo Romano's daughter."

Blankly, I stare at him and he recoils, widening his eyes. He's about to speak but Atkins knocks on the already-open door. I nod, allowing him to enter.

"Boss, we've just got intel from Lance," he enters with a laptop in his hands and walks round to me. "She was right. Ricardo Romano is the one targeting you."

I catch Mancini's hard gaze and he lowers his head.

✽ ✽ ✽

The gates opened as soon as my car was spotted so Rosa must've told them about our alliance. It's 1 pm so her siblings are in school and she is home alone, hence it makes perfect timing to discuss the recent information I discovered.

When I knock on the large door, it doesn't open to reveal the gorgeous redhead. Instead, a woman who looks to be in her early 30s opens it.

"Hi, can I help you with anything?"

"I need to speak with Rosa," I vaguely inform her and she straightens.

"Luca Armani?" She asks slowly, the emotion clear in her eyes. I nod.

"I-I'm Brielle Hayes. Her aunt."

I squint my eyes a little. She was the woman who was mentioned in Rosa's file.