Meanwhile

A/N: Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about my other OC. She'll join the group soon but for now, enjoy.

Sumi's amber eyes opened slowly as she tried to familiarise herself with her surroundings.

It was far too dark to see and the 20-year-old had to rub her eyes repeatedly, ensuring she was awake.

The ground below her felt as if it were moving, making her feel a little nauseous.

"What the hell..." She whispered, before suddenly flinching at the sensation of searing pain.

Holding back a scream, she attempted to get into a comfortable position that didn't result in her wishing she was dead.

That was when the fragments in her memory came together: a few days ago, she was still in the clutches of Awa's lord, Yang Kum-Ji.

The man was strangely enthralled by her and kept her by his side for 2 whole years. It was only when she began to rebel that he started threatening to send her off.

And after destroying many of his possessions, he finally took up that threat and sold Sumi off to a random lord from the Kai Empire.

'That's right... They're taking me there now.'

She initially attempted to run away, however, Kum-Ji had many guards who immediately caught her and shoved her into a wagon.

Of course, they couldn't do so without leaving bruises all over her body to complement the many other injuries she donned.

For the millionth time in the last two years, Sumi wondered how she was still alive.

Her family probably already gave up on the idea of finding her and most of her friends were captured by the sick bastard and sold off too.

'What's the point anymore?'

She was about to fall asleep once more, deciding that she'd rather be unconscious than stuck with her thoughts.

Yet, before she could rest, the wagon she was in came to a screeching halt, causing her body to slam against its sides.

The doors opened suddenly, flooding the wagon with sunlight. Sumi had to force her eyes shut at the brightness of her surroundings.

"There's just some woman in here!" An unfamiliar voice exclaimed.

"Only? This looked promising as well," another voice whined.

When Sumi grew accustomed to the light, she opened her eyes and focused on the figure in front of her.

'Shit, a bandit.'

Just her luck. Of course the wagon she was in was going to get attacked by bandits. She should've known she was never catching a break.

For a moment she contemplated just letting the bandits kill her. After all, she was far too tired of dealing with sickening human beings.

However, when she thought back on her life before Kum-Ji ruined it, Sumi came to one conclusion.

'I want to live.'

Even if it seemed hopeless, even if she was going to end up dead in a ditch somewhere, she didn't want to give up. Because just as she was unlucky enough to end up in that position, she may very well be lucky enough to escape it.

Whilst the bandit was still talking to his colleagues, Sumi crawled to the edge of the wagon, barely within reach of him.

That's where she saw a dagger strapped to the man's leg.

Shaking off any final doubts, Sumi snatched the dagger from the bandit and slashed the back of his neck in one swift motion, killing him.

The other two bandits immediately rushed over to the back of the wagon with weapons of their own drawn.

The woman had barely any experience fighting and was only able to land that attack due to taking the bandit by surprise.

Escaping the others would take serious luck.

Inhaling sharply, Sumi darted from her position, keeping her body low to easily dodge the other bandits. She then swiped her leg under the duo's feet, tripping them up successfully.

Having lived in a rough area, she witnessed a few fights in her time and knew of tricks she could use, that being one of them.

She had to admit, however, that the bandit's inexperience was a great advantage; she was travelling in a bland wagon which clearly held no wealth, yet for it to be attacked implies those bandits were either sent to kill her or they were new to crime.

Judging by how easy it was to outmanoeuvre them, Sumi concluded they must've been the latter.

The woman sprinted towards the front of the wagon, nearly crying in relief when she saw the horse still there even though its master was killed.

Sumi hopped onto the horse and detached it from the wagon, working as quickly as her body allowed her. Then, ignoring the bandits' enraged shouting, the woman set off, with no clue where she was going.

She was ridiculously hungry, exhausted and still in pain yet none of that mattered to her anymore - she was free.

Although she initially thought it was another cruel twist of fate, perhaps being attacked by inexperienced bandits was the luckiest thing to happen in her life.

All she could hope for was that her luck would last.

A/N
The next chapter will continue the events of chapter 13 but I'll write another "meanwhile" chapter to go alongside it.