Chapter 8

'Where am I?

I feel so heavy. Ugh, I wanna sleep...

Wait but my eyes aren't open. Am I asleep then?

But what about the Fire Tribe soldiers? Could it be... Am I dead?'

"NO WAY IN HELL!" Aiko suddenly bellowed, shooting up from her position only for her forehead to collide with something.

"OW! Who the hell wakes up screaming like that?" An unfamiliar voice exclaimed. Aiko focused her eyes on the figure.

They seemed to be around her age with short strawberry blonde hair paired and piercing blue eyes which were narrowed in irritation.

"Sorry," she mumbled unapologetically, before panicking once more, "W-wait Yona and Hak! Where are they? Umm... There were two people with me, a redhead and an idiot. I-I mean a tall dude with stupid black hair and stupid blue eyes-"

The person merely bonked her head lightly and scolded her, "Calm down. Your companions are fine, they just left for some fresh air."

Aiko slumped in relief, "Oh, by the way, my name's Aiko. Nice to meet you."

"I'm the pretty boy genius who saved your life, Yoon. And likewise," the boy replied, his head raised in pride.

Aiko merely giggled at his arrogance, before immediately wincing at the pain it caused.

"Careful, you barely survived that drop," he scolded, before going to put away what looked to be medicinal herbs.

"Drop? What drop?" The girl asked curiously. All she could remember was fainting after getting stabbed.

"You don't even know how you got your injuries? You three fell off a cliff and landed not too far away from here. I found you half-dead and brought you here," Yoon explained calmly, "Oh, by the way, you were the last to wake up. It's been two days since I found you."

"TWO DAYS?" Aiko exclaimed, her voice so loud that Yoon couldn't help but flinch.

"Do you not understand the words calm down?" He grumbled.

"Sorry," she mumbled, sounding even less apologetic than before. Yoon gave his patient one last dirty look and resumed his work.

A few moments later, Yona (now with considerably shorter hair) and Hak entered the hut, pausing in shock when they saw Aiko was conscious.

"You're okay!" Yona exclaimed, engulfing her companion in a gentle hug, taking Aiko by surprise. The two of them weren't even that close so for Yona to react in such a way made Aiko feel a lot more special than she'd like to admit.

"Took your time," Hak complained, folding his arms in disapproval. He was covered head-to-toe in bandages and the black-haired girl felt a sting of guilt.

'If I was strong enough, he wouldn't be this hurt.'

"Wow, your precious little sister just wakes up after 2 days of being knocked out and this is how you greet her? Really feeling the love here," she commented drily, "Anyways, what did I miss?"

Yona and Hak exchanged a long glace, wondering how they would explain everything that happened to the girl.

After a lengthy, fairly confusing recap, Aiko got a general gist of what happened: by some twist of luck, they were currently in the home of the priest they were searching for and, having spoken to the said priest, Yona had learnt of a prophecy she was somehow involved in.

"The four dragons? They're real?" Aiko inquired, tilting her head in disbelief.

"Apparently," Hak shrugged, "Though it sounds fishy to me."

"Ik-Soo wouldn't lie about that," Yoon butted in, glaring at the ex-general. Hak merely muttered a half-hearted apology.

Yoon mentally noted a similarity between the siblings with a deadpan expression, 'So they both always apologise without meaning it.'

Meanwhile, Yona continued explaining the situation to Aiko, stating that, "We'll leave tomorrow to start searching."

"We won't run into those Fire Tribe bastards again, right?" Aiko then asked, subconsciously holding her arms around her midriff.

"If we're lucky," Hak replied. He seemed a lot calmer about the situation than Aiko.

Instead of panicking, however, the girl merely laid back down on the futon, sighing loudly only for her stomach to grumble at the same time.

Her brother immediately burst out laughing, obnoxiously slapping his knee at the sight of her humiliation.

Meanwhile, Yona and Yoon quietly chuckled, not wanting to be as rude as Hak whilst still finding the situation funny.

"Here," Yoon passed the hungry girl a bowl of soup, "It might be a little cold though."

Without another word, Aiko gobbled up the food. She decided at that moment to never get into a coma again - she missed eating way too much.

Ignoring Yoon and Hak's weirded-out looks, Aiko dramatically sighed in satisfaction. Although she was a decent cook, Yoon's food was incredible. That fact made Aiko a little frustrated at the fact that the pretty boy genius probably wasn't coming with them.

"Hey Yoon, join us." The black-haired girl blurted out.

Yona and Hak froze simultaneously. They spent a whole day trying to fulfil Ik-Soo's request of having Yoon join them and knew exactly how badly the pretty boy genius would react.

"No," Yoon replied bluntly, "I thought this mess would be over by now, dammit. It's annoying."

"Geez, don't take it so personally. I just like your cooking," Aiko mumbled, confused at Yoon's sudden hostility.

"Umm... Aiko," Yona began quietly, before leaning in and whispering, "Ik-Soo wants Yoon to come with us too but we tried asking and... Well, we more or less got the same reaction."

"So you're planning on living here forever then? Talk about boring," Aiko called out, startling Yona. She thought explaining the situation would make Aiko a little more considerate.

"Boring? Well sorry to disappoint but I have a life here. Ik-Soo needs me and travelling is a pain," Yoon retorted.

"But I thought he was the one kicking you out," Aiko mused, causing the boy to stiffen.

"Aiko!" Yona scolded.

"Surely if you want me to join you, you should be sucking up to me, right?" Yoon commented, "I'm going to check on Ik-Soo. Bye."

He stormed out of the house, ensuring to glare at Aiko one last time. What followed was an awkward silence, in which the 15-year-old began to feel guilty about her words.

"You're such a dumbass," Hak finally spoke up, worsening her mood.

'I definitely need to apologise.'

A/N
Aaand everyone's favourite pretty boy genius has entered the scene. Yoon is just so amazing and I can't wait to write more of his and Aiko's interactions... That is, once they make up. As always, thanks for reading and have a nice day. <3