pt30. YA Fantasy

"As long as I am breathing, in my eyes, I am just beginning." - Criss Jami, Killosophy

+++

Caden's POV

Three Months Later

I finally have a job interview!

Yes! After three months of working in coffee shops and restaurants, I finally got a call back from a well-known company that reached out to me.

I can't say making a fresh start was easy. The big difference between my life then and my life now is that I have a lot more money. And yeah, my brother wasn't beating me up every night.

But besides that, and the added bonus that I was a personal assistant to fast growing corporation on my resume, not many jobs want a criminal to work in their place of business.

So, yeah. Dead-end jobs and occasionally, a call-back from more high-paying positions that actually interest me. I've applied to a few, like a computer-technology teacher at a middle school. I even got an interview and everything.

But a few days after the interview, I got a call saying they hired someone else. Yay me.

Honestly, I shouldn't be having a pity-party that this fresh start into this new life isn't turning out as good as I had hoped. I mean, everyone has slow starts. I was just hoping I was the exception.

Clearly, I'm not.

But, let's rewind to the fact that I just go an interview. An interview, admittedly to a position that isn't something I would choose if I wasn't desperate for a better job than the ones I have now. The job is for... I feel like you can guess it, but it's for a secretary.

To me, it's basically the same thing as a personal assistant, except it sounds fancier. I'd be the secretary to Frank Aldridge, the founder of Aldridge Property Advisors.

Not that I think I'm going to get the job, but considering I worked for Silas, and had to endure... a lot, I honestly think I'm the best qualified for this position. Seriously, he could do his worst and it probably wouldn't even compare to what Silas had me do.

Honestly, I didn't think I would get a call back, much less an interview. I applied just for funzies, adamant that I would never receive word from them, but hey, I did. Yay.

I really was testing my luck. First Sanders Corp and now this company. I had searched them up after applying and they are apparently, one of the richest and most well-known real estate companies in the country.

And I got an interview.

I shouldn't be jinxing it, but it would be a miracle if I actually got the job. I'm assuming it's going to be a repeat of what happened in my last interview. They make a background check on me, find out that I've been arrested multiple times, tell me that they don't want a criminal working for them, and I'm back to being a barista.

Sheesh. Who knew I was such a pessimist?

Honestly, not that I would ever go back to how I used to live before, but I just haven't been feeling it lately.

Would it have be because I haven't heard back from Silas? Possibly. I have gotten calls from Izzie and Ryland asking me if I was okay. I'm assuming the news spread about my brother, and I assured them I was well.