1. The Paal Packet

*Purely Fictional Story*

__________________

"Sivaangi, andha pyyan naalaiku move in pandran. He has a small kid. Konjam paathuko. He says he is familiar with the area, but I have told him he can ask you for help."

"Nan paathukaren Muthu uncle. I know the difficulties of being a single parent. It's been only a month since I moved in here but intha apartment la all have made me feel so comfortable. We'll make him comfortable too." Sivaangi assured Muthu uncle who owned the house Sivaangi rented and the house opposite hers on the same floor.

"I have given him your number. He might need some help before he comes over nu sonnan. Hope that is okay."

"Han, ok dhan uncle. Don't worry. Paathukaren."

__________________

Ashwin had just fed his child and was contemplating if he should call his neighbour-to-be requesting help for the next day. Over the years, as much as he didn't like it and tried to limit it, he had learnt to take help from others. Being a single dad did come with some hiccups. Nothing I can't handle he told himself. He took one look at his child's face which was glittering with excitement at playing with a new toy-keyboard that made noises when the keys were pressed, and all his worries vanished. "Naalaiku new house?" Ashwin was questioned when he was caught admiring his kid. "Yes, unakku definite a pidikum, neriaya friends irupanga." "Appa happy, naanum happy." said the little one with a contagious smile. With that smile, he dialled the number Muthu uncle had given him.

"Hello?"

"Sivaangi hi, this is Ashwin. Muthu uncle gave me your number. Few mins pesalaama?"

"Hi Ashwin, yes sollunga."

"House key unga kitta onnu iruku nu Muthu uncle sonnaru. If you don't mind, can you please use that to let in the maid tomorrow morning? I will try my best to reach before the movers and packers come. Enakku munnadi vantanga na, avangalukum door open pandreengala? Supervise lam panna vendam, just door open panna podhum. And unga number a can I give them in case they need help with directions? Kozhandhaiku naala vaccine podanum, can't miss that. We'll be there as soon as we are done. And main a, tomorrow enakkum serthu oru paal packet vaangidunglen please? I am really sorry to trouble you, vaccination date oda didn't want to mix this but Muthu uncle said tomorrow is a good day and eppadiyavadhu move in pannidu nu." Ashwin said in one breath.

"Ashwin, relax, idhula enna trouble. En ponnukum nethu dhan vaccine potten. So I know how tedious it can be to handle a cranky child. Maid-u Rani akka dhane? And text me the number of the movers guy, I'll take care."

"Thank you Sivaangi. Romba relieved a iruku. Apparam andha paal packet also."

"Yes Yes, marakamaaten."

"Thanks again Sivaangi. Movers edhana confuse or trouble pananga na, please call me."

"Neenga sonna ella instructions-um correct a follow pannuven Ashwin. Don't worry." Sivaangi couldn't help but let out a chuckle.

"Ayyo sorry-nga. Kozhandhai oda ippo dhan first time move pandren. Adhan konjam tension." Ashwin tried explaining.

"It's ok-nga. No formalities. I'll see you tomorrow. And come home for lunch-nga. You wouldn't have had time to set up anything. And kozhandhaiku vaacine na outside food vendam."

Ashwin hesitated but he knew she was right "Ungalluku no trouble la?"

"Appadilam onnum illainga. Just come over."

"I appreciate this. Thank you Sivaangi, Bye!"

Sivaangi saved his number as Ashwin 7B and put down her phone. She smiled, quickly went back to his saved contact, opened the nick name field and saved it as 'Paal Packet'.

_________________

The next morning, Sivaangi almost forgot the extra milk packet. Ayyo andha 'paal packet' evalo dharave sonnan. Marandhutom na nammala pathi enna nenaipaan! She mumbled and ran downstairs behind the paalkaara anna. She took the packets and dumped them directly into the fridge. By then her daughter woke up and screamed for Sivaangi from bed "Ammaaa Ammmaaa!"

"Idho varen!" Sivaangi hopped onto the bed with her daughter, both getting into their daily routine of tickles and cuddles.

"Brush no no inniku" her daughter said.

"Nethu night pal theikaama escape aita. So morning brush panniye aaganum." Being strict doesn't come easily to Sivaangi, especially when her daughter puts up a pleading face. "Seri, ippo 15minutes extra thaachikalam. Apparoma namma brush pannalam. Seri a?" she asked, knowing her daughter shared the same weakness as her – sleep!

15minutes turned to almost 30minutes with the mom-daughter duo belting out all the rhymes learnt at daycare instead of sleeping. Sivaangi loved these lazy weekends where she didn't have to rush to work after dropping her child at daycare. She yearned for days like these when her baby lay on top of her and constantly chatted. Sivaangi hugged her bundle of joy and kissed her all over her face making loud noises, making the child laugh and wriggle out of Sivaangi's grasp. "Va poi pallu brush pannalam."

__________________

It had been a hectic morning for Ashwin what with packing the last of the items, giving last minute instructions to his neighbour-uncle who was going to coordinate with the movers at this end, all the while answering the never-ending questions that his kid suddenly decided to ask "Indha saaman enga pogum?" "Namma yen andha lorry (movers truck) la pogala?" "Enakku pudhu school pidikuma?". Ashwin had patiently responded to each question not wanting to already spoil the mood of the kid who was going to be vaccinated shortly but was not aware of it.

Thankfully, the drama this time was not as bad as the last time, Ashwin thought to himself, pacifying his little one after the vaccine. He knew he shouldn't have clubbed it along with moving houses, but something about the conversation with his to-be neighbour had sounded reassuring and he went ahead per the original plan anyway. He heard she was a single parent too. That's why she is able to relate he thought to himself. The young dad was exhausted and eagerly waiting to have home-food that was not prepared by him for a change. He mentally made a note to thank her and return the favours whenever she required. He buckled his kid's seat belt, gave the now silent baby another lollipop as a bribe to control the fast-spilling tears, and started the drive towards their new home. Here's to happy beginnings Ashwin he wished himself.

Sivaangi meanwhile had a busy Sunday morning, gossiping with Rani Akka who was cleaning Ashwin's house; and then coordinating with the movers guy and letting them set up the stuff. Paal packet ku nalla taste dhan she thought looking at the items placed around the 2bedroom house identical to hers. She locked the door, walked across in exactly 7steps to her house – she had left her door open in case her daughter looked out for her. She scooped her child who was playing with her toys, gave her lunch and was just starting to wonder when she should heat up the lunch she prepared for her new neighbours.

On cue, the doorbell rang. Sivaangi moved to the door with her daughter tugging her legs. "Paathu nillu di, kadhavu idikapogudhu. Iru, thukikaren." She lifted the child to her hips and opened the door with a smile. Then her eyes widened in shock to see a man carrying a child.

A child who's a carbon copy of her daughter.

AN: Readerseyy, first attempt at writing a short multi-chapter fanfiction (10 chapters to be precise). Will update frequently. Happy reading!