6. What are they?

*Purely Fictional Story*

__________________

"Appa, Sivaangi maa dhan ennoda amma va?" Tri asked. The four of them had just come back from the theatre having watched a cartoon-based movie and were lounging at Sivaangi's house.

It had been a few weeks since that day that Ashwin and Sivaangi decided to co-parent. They had worked out a schedule between them such that each would spend time with both the kids together and with each of the kids separately. With Malini maami helping them out, the routine gave each parent their own alone time – something which had been a rare luxury the past few years. And of course, there were days when all four of them hung out together, sometimes for meals, sometimes for a cartoon or games night at home or for an evening outing such as today.

Ashwin and Sivaangi gelled well. The respect was mutual. Conversations were effortless; they were flexible in adjusting to routines and to helping each other out. They each had their quirks but since they maintained different living spaces, neither minded. They were acing the co-parenting game.

"Sollu Ashwineyy" Dvi reminded him to respond.

"Nandini sonna, avalukum babykum same amma, same appa." Tri recollected the conversation from school.

"So Ashwineyy enakku appa." Dvi concluded.

The parents knew this topic was bound to come up. They had discussed this during one of their joint dinners after the kids slept. Yes, they wanted to be called appa and amma by each of their kids, but they agreed it should happen naturally, when the kids were ready for it.

Ashwin looked at Sivaangi for a final nod and said, "Ungaluku engala appa amma nu koopadanuma?" Dvi kept her forefinger on her chin thinking. Tri immediately imitated the pose, and both said "aama."

"Okay. Naan appa, sivaangi amma. Seri a?" He responded with a smile. "Seri andha new game eduthutu vaanga, we'll play."

They both ran inside to bring the new board game, only for the parents to immediately hear wailing noises from the room. Ashwin and Sivaangi rushed to the room to find the sisters fighting and pulling each other's hair. It was apparently a fight as to who would take the board game to Appa.

The father in Ashwin brimmed with joy. He went to his daughters and gently pulled them apart, only to hug them both at the same time and cuddle them. The wailing girls immediately started giggling. "Kurukuru" Dvi said, pointing to Ashwin's stubble. He instantly nuzzled his stubble more on them both making the girls growl in laughter, all traces of tears quickly vanishing. Sivaangi was leaning on the bedroom door, watching the scenes unfold with pure bliss, enjoying the little moments like this that she had always wished for Dvi.

"Amma nee va kurukuru ku" Tri called out to Sivaangi. Ashwin quickly turned to look at Sivaangi for her reaction. If there was one topic that both had conveniently left out of their discussions, it was their relationship. Yes, they are co-parents to the kids, but what are they to each other? They are neither strangers nor acquaintances. They are beyond neighbours and friendship. What are they?

Sivaangi nodded her head saying "Illa illa, neenga unga appa oda konjikonga, nan dinner panna poren." and quickly left the room without looking at Ashwin with her head down. Something about it bothered Ashwin but he didn't know how to approach it. He kept aside the thought and started the board game with the girls. The girls made up their own rules, often forgetting the earlier rules they made, and Ashwin always ensured he lost.

"Ammaaa" came a sudden noise from the kitchen and Ashwin ran to check on Sivaangi. "Kai cut panniten Ashwin" she whined, the palpable tension between them from a while ago forgotten. "Yen maa, paathu panna maatiya?" He took hold of Sivaangi's hands, moved to the hall and gave her first aid. Thankfully, it was a very small cut and not deep. "Band-aid podhum, aana nee inniku cook pannadha. Seri a?" he asked, still holding her hand and wondering why Sivaangi was not looking at him again. "Sivaangi maa" he called out to her in his base voice.