5. Our Kids

*Purely Fictional Story*

__________________

Neither knew how they managed to reach their apartment. They found themselves at his house on the sofa. Sivaangi was visiting it for the first time after he unpacked and was taking in the spik and span looks of the place, all the while her mind working on what they had heard at the orphanage.

"I want to be actively involved in Dvi's life." Ashwin started, ready to explain the need and necessity to Sivaangi if she protests his request. Single parents can sometimes be possessive, who better to know it than Ashwin.

"Enakkum. Tri oda." She instantly replied.

He nodded, knowing that if he wants, he needs to give too. And he trusted Sivaangi, Dvi was a testament to her parenting. From what he had observed, Sivaangi was level-headed when it came to her daughter. He sensed she trusted him, and he was thankful for that. Neither had even considered a scenario of their kid growing up without their twin. They wanted the best for their child – now children – and that meant being in each other's lives. They had realized this the previous night, but that feeling simply amplified knowing the other's child could have been their own too. Now they have a chance to see what could have been.

"I will ensure I do not interfere with your life Sivaangi. We'll figure out a routine. Our kids will be our priority." The pace of his heartbeat increased with him acknowledging that he has two daughters, may be not on paper, but damn any paperwork in front of raw emotions.

"Our kids" she looked into Ashwin's eyes and accepting the unsaid equation. "Our kids" he repeated.

__________________

Sivaangi called Malini maami and asked her to bring the kids to Ashwin's house. A few minutes later, they heard the stomping of small feet in their squeaky shoes outside the door. Sivaangi opened the door and was immediately engulfed in knee hugs. She lifted both of them, hugged them and plopped noisy kisses all over both the faces which were now giggling with each child trying to squirm away from Sivaangi.

Dvi was victorious due to practice. The minute she was down on the floor, she rushed to Ashwin. Without waiting a beat, Ashwin hugged Dvi tightly and kissed her face. Since they met, Ashwin had been cautious around Dvi as he didn't know how Sivaangi would react to Ashwin's involvement with the baby. Now knowing that Dvi was the baby he should have taken home, all he wanted was to drown himself in that kutty uruvam. He looked over Dvi's shoulders, his eyes searching for Sivaangi's. Over there, Sivaangi understood that Tri didn't really want to escape from her, in fact, she was wanting more snuggles and Sivaangi was more than happy to give her more. When Sivaangi caught Ashwin's eyes, she saw a reflection of her feeling. Our kids.

Malini maami didn't miss any of this. Paravala Kadavule, start panta pola un setting a. Help venumna enna kelu. Indha naalu kozhandhaigalum nalla irukanum. She offered to make them lunch, but Ashwin politely refused saying it was his turn to cook. Knowing Kadavul will not like her presence while he was Setting, Malini excused herself and went home.

"Dvi, indha amma kitta po, naan poi cook pandren." He handed Dvi to Sivaangi and went to the kitchen which he set up over the night last night. Sleep had evaded him for a long while after he met his 'neighbours', so he decided to put his awake hours to good use.

The three girls as they called themselves, sat on the sofa and talked about their day at daycare. Ashwin was preparing food for the kids first and was constantly looking at the three girls. He had always thought he would be possessive when he saw Tri with a woman, a motherly figure, with whom Tri might feel as comfortable as she's with him. But instead, it gave him a sense of peace and contentment to see them all together. He didn't know how to explain it, but it made it happy. For once, he didn't want to over analyse and told himself to let things be.

"Sivaangi maa, twins na enna?" Tri suddenly asked. "School la naanga twins appadinu miss sonnanga." Dvi added to clarify.

The parents had prepared for this. They knew it was not long before this came up. In fact, they were planning to introduce the concept to them in the coming days. Maybe not in full given the complexity of their situation, but at least explain to them that they are sisters. With the kids going to the same daycare, their identical appearance was bound to draw attention, and it wouldn't be long before the twins brought up the more complex questions around the typical setting of a family.

Sivaangi signalled to Ashwin to come to them. She wanted them to do this together. The four of them sat on the floor, the parents comfortably resting against the sofa, the kids each sitting on one parent while sticking out their legs on the other parent and eating their lunch.

"Unga daycare la Nandini iruka la? Tri, nee innaiku morning avakooda friends aaniye. Appo ava amma kaila oru baby girl irundhuchula?"

Both the toddlers nodded their head. "Nandini yum andha baby-um sisters. Akka thangai. Vera vera vayasu, vera vera birthdays." Sivaangi paused to see if her kids were following her. "Tri-um Dvi-um sisters, aana orey vayasu, orey birthday, paaka orey maari. Adhu dhan twins." she continued, using her finger to nudge each child as she mentioned their names.

The girls seemed satisfied with the response. At least for now. In all their excitement of the day, they soon fell asleep. Sivaangi picked them and settled them on the bed in Ashwin's room and came out to see if he needed help with lunch.

She observed Ashwin's behaviour in the kitchen. Right from the way he sliced vegetables to instantly cleaning up any mess, he seemed to be the types to be methodical in all that he did. Ammam, paal packet vera eppadi irupaan she chuckled to herself.

"Enna paakareenga?" he asked her.

"Ashwin, we are adults, and we are going to be in each other's lives. Indha neenga vaanga ponga lam vendame? Enakku onnum avalo vayasu aagala. Casual a irupom."

"Seringa Dora" he said and continued cooking, not in the least realising he blurted out something that had registered in him subconsciously. Sivaangi was not clear if she heard it right in the hiss of the cooker. Paal packet ippadilam pesadhe, nammku dhan kaadhu seriya kekaliyo? Indha cooker vera chai.

"Plates anga iruku. Edukariya?" he pointed to a cabinet near the fridge. Sivaangi noticed his warm base voice for the first time. Aama idhuverakum ivan voice-a namma note pannaliye! Nalla iruku, warm a. Adhu seri, namma pesina vishayangal appadi. Idha engendhu note panna. She sighed and took out the plates.

"Enna aachu maa? All fine?" Ashwin asked hearing her sigh. She squeezed her eyes and shrugged her shoulders to indicate all is good.

"Semma-ya smell varudhu Ashwin. Nalla cook pannuve pola!" she exclaimed "Enakku oru alavuku dhan varum. Dvi kaaga I try and learn new things."

"Enakku cooking pidikum maa. Aduvum experiment panna pidikum from a young age, so appadiye pazhagiduchu. Saapdu, help yourself."

Sivaangi gestured super with her hands, reminding him of Dvi. Conversation freely flowed between them while they ate - about their families, careers and lifestyle. It was a relaxed conversation to have after the recent turmoil they faced. Everything was not alright yet, but they were slowly gaining the confidence to face it.

"Ondra naal la vaazhka evalo mariduchu la?" she thought out loud, and continued, "Maarinaalum, I am glad it's with you, Ashwin - that I'll be bringing up our kids with you."