2. Sink

*Purely Fictional Story*

__________________

Ashwin and Sivaangi sat in silence in her hall. Ashwin rested his hands on his knees, tucking his palms under his chin.

"Karunai Illam?" He asked, to which she nodded in affirmation.

They both observed the identical twins playing with each other. Either the kids didn't realise the bond they shared with each other, or they were extremely aware of it subconsciously.

"Eppo?" Sivaangi questioned Ashwin shaking her hands towards his daughter.

"3 years. 2months after birth." He said with a sigh.

"Same here." Their eyes met with multitude of questions, answers for which they wanted, yet didn't want.

"How can they be irresponsible and separate them this way? Isn't there a law that can punish them for this?" Ashwin was undergoing emotions he never felt before. He has had his share of stressful phases in life, but this was pure confusion, an unsettling emotion weighing in his heart.

He looked over at Sivaangi and saw similar emotions on her face. She was looking at the toddlers with moist eyes. When he knocked on the door of 7A half hour ago, a chirpy looking woman opened the door for him. She had looked at him with a smile and he saw that smile and the colour drain from her face when she looked at his daughter. Recollecting those moments, he could empathise with her. He remembered his own reaction – the instant he saw the child on Sivaangi's hip, his hands wrapped around his own daughter, as if to search for her.

"Ava peru enna?" Sivaangi enquired.

"Triti."

"Dviti."

They looked at each other astonished. Ashwin let out a dry laugh when she said "Indha rhyming ku korachal illa."

She added, "Let me go get Triti her the food." her maternal instincts kicking in. Also, she wanted to keep herself busy. If she sat still, her mind would wander to the what ifs and buts, and she definitely didn't want to go in that direction right away.

When she came out of the kitchen, Ashwin was sitting on the floor with the kids and his gaze was following Dviti and her reactions. He felt lost. He thought her knew everything about his daughter, and now he was looking at a child he thought he knew but didn't. When he saw Sivaangi carrying only one plate, he asked "Dviti saaptaala?"

"Yes, appove." As much as she wanted to feed the baby herself, she didn't know if she could. She handed him the plate.

"Tri, hand wash pannitu va." Tri obediently got up and Dvi lead the way to the sink. Tri looked at her dad and said "Appa, sink height tall a iruku. Namma kutty sink?"

"Amma thookiko ivala" Dvi told Sivaangi, as if it was the most natural thing to do.

Sivaangi looked at Ashwin for permission. Maybe if it were any other kid, she would not have hesitated. But with Tri, she didn't know how to behave. She slowly picked up Tri, took a whiff of the baby scent on her and placed her on the hips, earning a giggle from the baby. Sivaangi opened the tap, bent down to wash Tri's hands, dried them with a towel and gave the kutty hands a kiss like she usually did with Dvi. Tri observed her with fascination and gave her a shy 'thank you' when she got down.

While this scene registered in Ashwin's mind, he decided he would think about it later. He had eyes only for Dvi, who was excitedly clapping her hands on Tri having been lifted by her mom. It was like seeing an exaggerated and over enthusiastic version of his daughter. Tri has always been a soft girl. Of course, tantrums were often thrown with tears and loud cries. But in general, Tri was calm and composed of which Ashwin always felt proud – that his daughter was just like him. Now Dvi's overt enthusiasm was like seeing a different version of his Tri and was earning his admiration.

"Ashwin, neengalum saapdunga. Come, let me serve you."

The elders hardly exchanged any words. They were lost in thoughts, mentally recollecting their respective pasts. When Tri finished eating what was on her plate, she looked at Sivaangi with a shy smile. That was all the invitation Sivaangi needed to hold the child's hand and take her to clean her up. This time Dvi opted to walk to Ashwin and tap him on his knees, drawing his attention to her. "Un peru enna?"

"Ashwin maa." Ashwin said, bending down further so that he was at her eye level. Dvi mimed the super symbol with her kutty hands and started talking to him, all the while patting his thighs in a rhythmic beat. That's how Sivaangi found them when she came back, with Tri in her arms.

The kids ran off to play again while Ashwin and Sivaangi went back to their confused mode. "Karunai Illam polam nu iruken Sivaangi. I need some answers."

"Ippo kettu enna aaga pogudhu Ashwin?"

"Some peace maybe? To justify why this happened to us?"

Sivaangi thought for a while, drumming her hands on her track pants. "Seri naanum varen. Edha thedi porom nu therila, I believe idhu ellame Kadavul Setting nu, but I'd like to come anyway."

"Kadavul Setting a? More like a bureaucratic screw up."

"Adhu kooda Kadavul Setting dhane."

Ashwin didn't have the energy to fight for logic and let it slide. "Give me a couple of days to settle down and then we'll go. Tri needs to get used to the new daycare, till then I want to be close by in case she needs me."

"The daycare on the next street? Dvi goes there."

"Same daycare! How are the kids going to deal with this when we don't have answers or a plan?"

"Sometimes kids handle things better than us. If it comes to it, we'll learn from them Ashwin."

Ashwin nodded and got up. "Thanks for lunch Sivaangi. Veeta poi paakanum. I haven't organized anything there yet." He paused and turned to her again "Apparam andha paal packet kudukareengala?"

Evalo nadandhalum ivanuku avan paal packet dhan mukyam Thinking silently, Sivaangi fetched the milk packet from the fridge and handed it to Ashwin.

They both then moved to the room where the kids were happily holding hands and talking. Dvi then moved on to explain something serious about the huge toy car to Tri who was intently listening to it and held Dvi protectively when her twin was about to trip.

"Tri, vaa veetuku polam. You can come play later or Dvi can come there ok?" Ashwin addressed the kids.

"Promise Ashwineyy?" Dvi demanded with her hands on her hips. At the same time, Tri held Sivaangi's hands and politely asked "Okay a Sivaangi maa?"

The elders were surprised with the affectionate pet names they each already received. The whole scenario felt more real and scary now. If they thought they had led complicated lives till now, they were so wrong.

Ashwin and Sivaangi each knew that Dviti and Triti had to be in each other's lives.

Ashwin and Sivaangi realized they each wanted to be in the other kid's life.

Which meant, Ashwin and Sivaangi were going to be in each other's lives.

They looked at each other and let that thought sink in.