10. The Sofa

*Purely Fictional Story*

__________________

"Malini romba nallavangala irukaanga. Evalo galagala ne pesaraanga!" Ashwin's mom exclaimed once they were all back from Malini's house. Malini had insisted that the whole family come over to her house for lunch as Ashwin's parents were leaving that evening. It had been a week since they arrived at Chennai and some important matters were requiring them back home. "Ashwin ku first avangala paatha orey beedhi, pechu dance aadum" Sivaangi announced to his parents, making them laugh. "Nee yen solla maate. Enna appo oru villain maari paathuchu andha aunty." Ashwin complained.

"Vidu da, adhu avanga nature. Pidichuchuna, orey the paasam dhan" Ashwin's mom supported Malini. She was sincerely grateful to the woman who had helped and guided the couple at various stages. The two elderly ladies had had a few minutes of one-to-one conversation; more a mother-to-mother conversation and Ashwin's mom was glad Malini was here to look out for Ashwin's family.

Ashwin's family, that's how Ashwin's parents thought of the four of them. Ashwin's parents were all set to leave when a quick nod was shared between them that went unnoticed by Ashwin and Sivaangi. "Ashwin, vaa car la luggage ethalam. Kutties, appa kooda vareengala engala airport la drop panna?" Ashwin's dad asked.

Once Ashwin, his dad and the kids left the house, Ashwin's mom took Sivaangi's hands in hers "Tri avanuku romba lucky eppovume. Ava vandha apparam dhan avanuku pidicha velai, pidicha ooru, ippo, pidicha innum oru ponnu, apparam nee. Romba sandhoshama iruku maa. Neenga naalu perum ooruku vaanga, pasangaluku adhellam paatha viyappa irukum." Sivaangi nodded in response. She had grown attached to Ashwin's parents in the past week. They were easy to converse and mingle with, and Sivaangi didn't have to put in any extra effort to be able to do that, nor did she have to pretend to be perfect. They adored Dvi as much as Tri and spoilt them the way grandparents are meant to. Sivaangi was quite sad that they were leaving already. "Kandipa varom aunty, neengalum uncle-um adikadi vaanga. And health paathukonga." They both took the lift and went to the car park. Ashwin's dad was waiting to give Sivaangi a hug before he went to sit with his granddaughters in the back seat. Ashwin's mom was seated in the front seat of the car with Sivaangi standing outside her window. They were all waiting for Ashwin who was almost done with arranging the luggage in the trunk of the car.

"Apparam Sivaangi, Malini sonnanga, 7D flat owners adha vikkalam nu yosikaraangalam. Adhu innum periya veedu, 3bedroom house ahm." She added with a meaningful smile and patted Sivaangi's hand. "Poitu varom maa."

__________________

"Ashwin, naan onnu kekkata?" It was nearly midnight, a few days after Ashwin's parents had left. Sivaangi decided to end the internal turmoil and speak with Ashwin about what his mother had told her. They were at Ashwin's house with the kids sleeping in the bedroom. She was sitting on the sofa with her legs on Ashwin who was sitting on the other side of the sofa, reading a book.

"Sollu maa, enna pudhusa permission lam kekare?" he joked, but he realized she wanted to discuss something important when he didn't receive a quirky dialogue in response. He pulled her closer to him and spoke in his soothing voice "Sollu maa?"

"Namma 7D vaangalama?"

"Namma kalyanam pannikalama? Also, I want both our names on each of our daughter's records."

"Edhu modhalla pannaporom?"

Being Ashwin and Sivaangi was that simple. Having seen how different and difficult life could be without the other when they didn't even know the other existed, moving forward with each other was the only option they wanted.