7. Priorities & Prevalence

*Purely Fictional Story*

__________________

"That's the fourth time." Sivaangi counted on her fingers and showed Ashwin four fingers.

"Four?"

"Fourth time you are calling me Dora. Congratulations Sivaangi, you did not hallucinate." she patted herself.

"I thought it was the third time?"

"The day we came back from the orphanage, while you were cooking – that's the first time. I definitely did not hallucinate. Habba."

"Adhuke enakke therila. But nee therinjum yen Sivaangi react pannaala?"

"Nee therinju sollariya nu enakku theriyale. Nee endha arthathula sollare nu enakku purila Ashwin."

He simply pointed out to her night clothes. Incidentally, she was wearing the Dora one tonight. "First morning unna idhula dhan paathen, the first thing after I opened my door. I woke up that day praying the events of the previous day were a nightmare. But when I saw you in this, the nightmare seemed okay to have." He chuckled.

She could relate, he was her unwashed paal packet after all.

"I know we have had our moments. Aana ippo enakku discuss o illa decide panna vendam, hormones.." she waved her hand as always in the air.

Ashwin understood her predicament and didn't want to push it. "Whenever you are ready." He helped her clear out the pizza boxes and insisted on taking the girls with him that night. "Sleep well, Dora." he told her from his door while she looked at him from hers.

__________________

The next few days were routine. But now the routine included her often being called Dora by Ashwin and them stealing glances at each other while with the kids. The co-parenting schedule somehow ended up with all four of them spending more time together. Malini maami's eyes didn't miss all this. But she knew Sivaangi needed the nudge and decided to give it to her. "Ashwin nalla pyyan a irukan. First la I was worried for you and Dvi. But seeing him with Tri, I felt comfortable. Seeing him with Dvi, I started to like him. Seeing him with you, I started to respect him. You are my family. In a way, he is now too." Sivaangi looked at Malini maami and nodded in acknowledgment "I am overthinking la maami?"

"There's no right or wrong in this, and no one else can make any decision for you except you Sivaangi. Yosi, aana romba yosikaadha."

__________________

Ashwin was feeding the kids at his place while Sivaangi was pretending to be watching the TV. Ashwin knew by the way she constantly shifted her posture but let her be.

"Take me out on a date Ashwin."

"Friday night, 7pm reservation iruku. 6pm ku ready a iru."

She looked at him confused.

"I was going to try my luck and ask you once the kids napped. Mundiru kotta maari neeye kettute." He sighed making her laugh.

__________________

Sivaangi gulped on seeing Ashwin when she opened the door for him that Friday evening. He looked sharp in his blue collared tee shirt and jeans. Aaaha, blue colour paal packet super a irukaane. Irundhu enna use, hygiene nu idhukum sollama irundha seri. Seri wait what! Edhuku nan ippadi lam yosikaren ayyaho.

He raised his eyebrow at her, knowing well the effect he had on her at that moment. Both were anxious yes, but thrilled too, that they decided to give this a shot. "Dvi ready a? I'll leave them at Malini maami's house."

She nodded and called out for Dvi. "Sivaangi, night-u kum serthu dress pack pannidu Dvi ku." Ashwin's warm voice floated to her ears. Her eyes widened and her breath hitched. "Madam enna yosikareenga? I didn't want to disturb the kids once they slept, adhuku dhan sonnen. Neenga enna plan pandreenga Dora?" he murmured, with a slight bend of his head with his eyes looking directly at Sivaangi. He received a whack on his arms in response. Ashwin couldn't help but laugh. "Seri you get ready, I'll drop them and come. Malini maami enna solla pogudho!"

When Ashwin came back for Sivaangi, it was his turn to gulp. She looked ravishing and she knew it. His eyes ensured they conveyed it to her.

"Malini maami enna sonnanga?" she asked him, snapping him back to reality. She knew the elderly woman wouldn't be able to control her tongue. Sivaangi had been too shy to meet her, that's why she convinced Ashwin to drop the kids off.

"Morning endha veetla pasangala vidanum nu text panna sonnanga. Illa morning-um avangale vechukatuma ne kettanga." He pictured his embarrassed face quickly leaving maami's house, unable to meet her eyes just saying I will text you maami.

Sivaangi groaned thinking about how she would face maami the next day.

"KD, idhuku dhan enna anga poga sonniya? Nee escape aaga?"Ashwin said, grasping how cleverly Sivaangi has assigned the embarrassing job to him.

"Che che." she said. Her laughter confirmed Ashwin's theory and he shook his head blushing.

They drove to the restaurant that Ashwin had reserved a table at. The couple had shared many a meal over the weeks, but this felt special. It was not a conscious decision but somehow the topics they discussed were more about themselves rather than the two tots who brought them together. Their unintentional touches over dinner added to the excitement and left them wanting more and dreaming of the intentional touches they could have.

The couple were walking on a slightly deserted lane behind the restaurant after dinner, having told the valet they will take the car themselves. The romance that lingered in the air tried hard to stay invisible. But the magicians concocting the romance decided to simply throw caution to air and let the romance get the visibility it deserved. She held his hand, "Pidikalama?"

"Pidichuko" came the instant response with a yearning in his voice.

The walk was a relatively short one, but it seemed long. Especially when Sivaangi decided to throw in some confusion along with the romance.

"Our kids will always be our priority right? Even if we don't work out?"

"Our kids will always be our priority. And I don't see us failing Sivaangi, I know us."

Sivaangi remained silent once they got into the car. Ashwin took her hands in his and continued, "This is our chance at a family Sivaangi, why fight it?"

"I want us to be a family because we want to be. Because you want it to be. Not because I happen to the be mother to your children. I don't want you to compromise.."

Ashwin didn't let her complete. He smashed his lips against hers and let his lips do the talking. Sivaangi didn't want to resist, and then couldn't resist. She gave in and enjoyed the feeling she was scared to let herself feel, tightly holding his tee shirt's collar. She has had her share of kisses before, but none this passionate. Having read similar scenes in many romance novels, she had always wanted to see if the hype around holding the collar while kissing was worth it. It was. Every second of it.

When she couldn't continue any longer, she released his collar and he pulled back. "Did that feel like two people were compromising due to their situation?" He asked, holding her chin and making her look at him. "The situation brought us together, yes, but what we feel is our feelings, and they are true Sivaangi maa. I would never do anything to hurt my three girls."

Sivaangi was touched by his words. "I didn't doubt it Ashwin, but I had to ask. Un vaaiyilirundhu badhil venum nu aasa patten, nee vera vidhama vaayala badhil sollite!" Sivaangi was a blushing mess and Ashwin was a bigger mess. Their faces had a content smile, their cheeks pink in colour and eyes twinkling with desire.

Romance prevailed in the air.

AN: 7th chapter la kulukulu illama eppadi! Also, from being referred to as 'elders' in the first chapters, to then being called 'parents' in the next few, to them finally being referred to as a 'couple'!! Reverse order naalum, progressive indeed la?!