Bonus 2. The Holiday

*Purely Fictional Story*

__________________

"Naa edhuku pa?" Malini gently asked Ashwin. Dvi and Tri were seated in the dining table at Malini's house, busy assembling a series of jigsaw puzzles. Ashwin was leaning against the frame of the kitchen entrance conversing with Malini as she was making the kids' their favourite gulab jamun.

"Maami! Neenga illama eppadi? Enga amma-vum ungaluku phone pannanga la? Neenga kandipa enga kooda varanum ooruku. December 20th ku flight book pandren. 2nd January return vandhuralam. Engalukum office start ayudum appo."

"Illa pa.." she hesitated. She was touched that the young family was inviting her to visit Ashwin's parents' place for Christmas vacation, but she didn't know if her joining them would intrude on their family time considering Sivaangi, Ashwin and the kids were flying to his hometown for the first time as a family.

"Neenga Sivaangi oda family, ippo ennoda family-um. Neenga vaanga Maami. Promise pandren, you will enjoy." Ashwin assured her, having sensed her reluctance. For Ashwin, Malini maami was no less than family – her constant presence in their life was something they cherished and had somewhere come to take for granted even. Not just the kids and Sivaangi, Ashwin too enjoyed Malini's exuberance having overcome the initial awkwardness.

Malini blamed her age for feeling emotional at Ashwin's invitation. Why would she ever say no to spending more time with these four? These four – there were not fillers for the void that her family created as they were abroad – these were her own family in India. She loved them dearly and was always ready to play her role as Mali Paati.

She handed over a big cup of the sweet to Ashwin and nodded, accepting the invitation and earned a big grin from him. Modha naal paathadhum Sivaangi mela irundha paasam naala ivana konjam trust pannala dhan. Aana evalo nalla pyyan. Rathri drishti suthi podanum she made a mental note as she saw Ashwin sit down with the twins to feed them.

Sivaangi was seated comfortably on the sofa facing the kitchen, with her legs tucked under her. She had been silently observing the chat and her heart felt an unmeasurable feeling of contentment. It meant a lot to her that Malini Maami and Ashwin had improved from their initial cordial relationship, to having comfortable conversations to now, having their own independent relationship, and a great one at that. It had just needed time and a lot of circumstances (thanks to Sivaangi Setting) where Malini and Ashwin were driven to exchange information and dialogues, giving them the opportunities to improve their connection. And now, there were days when Ashwin was the first to know of Malini's plans and whereabouts which he would then pass on to Sivaangi.

"Thanks Maami" Sivaangi said, clutching Malini's hand that gave her a cup of the sweet. Malini nodded in acknowledgement, patted Sivaangi's head, and sat next to the young woman, joining her in admiring the man as he enthusiastically argued with the girls about which piece would fit where.

"Eppadi samalikara indha moonu kozhandhaigala?" Malini whispered to Sivaangi, chuckling.

"Konjam kashtam dhan maami, but Ashwin oda parenting style-a avankittaye use pannuven, adangiduvaan." Sivvangi whispered back, with her eyes were on the man-child in front of her. Her intense gaze caused Ashwin to shift his attention to her, and he raised his eyebrows in question. Onnum illa she mouthed and threw him an air kiss, making Ashwin's eyes go wide in embarrassment. He quickly averted his attention to the puzzle, but his cheekbones were flushed with a tinge of reddish rouge.

"Yen di avana paada paduthara?! Avana adhan unkitta irundhu kaapathanum pola! Paavam avan." Malini exclaimed, swatting Sivaangi's arms, making Sivaangi giggle.