chapter 04 : secret

the bed was so soft, almost fluffy as it made katsuki feel like he was floating. it was swallowing him up as he rested upon it, a content smile finding its way onto his face.

"don't fall asleep on me." he heard izuku's voice call. his eyes cracked open before gazing over to see izuku with bandages in his hands.

katsuki's old robes were thrown away, he was now clad in a large sleeping blouse, the silky fabric nearly off his shoulders. it wasn't his, it was izuku's until he would be able to get his own clothes made. though, he found himself liking this a bit more.

"i'm going to wrap your feet, okay? please don't kick me like you did last time." izuku begged as his approached katsuki.

the blond only grumbled before sitting up, gazing up at izuku who was now in front of him before his eyes began to trail downward as they followed izuku's figure down as he lowered himself to his knees to tend to katsuki's injured foot.

there he was again, izuku down on his knees for katsuki, taking care of him as if he were worth a million.

katsuki found himself relishing under the attention of the king. a man, with such power enough to determine his fate, lowering himself for katsuki seemed like something of a dream.

though it was real. a bit too real as his foot nearly met izuku's face as he felt gentle fingers brush his foot, snapping him out of thought. "hurry up! you're doing this on purpose!" katsuki yelped as he tried to pull away, only to be stilled by izuku's iron grip. though, his face held such a sheepish smile that no one would ever imagine him to be so strong.

"sorry, i have to put the ointment on your wounds or else they may be infected, okay?" izuku explained, earning a nod in understanding from katsuki.

izuku moved a bit quicker now, covering the torn skin on katsuki's foot with ointment before wrapping it up.

he then proceeded to do the same with the other, before lifting katsuki's legs onto the bed completely.

"you hadn't winced. not once despite the injuries to your feet." izuku said, slightly amazed as he sat a comfortable distance from katsuki on his spacious bed.

katsuki shrugged, "didn't hurt much. not compared to the feeling of nearly being imprisoned in a shed, sold by my own family member." he sighed.

those crimson pupils seemed heavy with sadness, a frown deep in his features as he shrugged. izuku only nodded, urging katsuki to go on.

"i was so scared. i - ..i was about to be sold, for money. how could he do that to me? i just wish my mom or dad were around." katsuki's voice cracked at the confession of such sad feelings.

"where are they now, katsuki?" izuku questioned. "far.. far away, okay? there's this thing my family has, when you come of age, you leave the house. i had.. nowhere to go. so, my grandfather took me in, only to attempt to sell me." katsuki explained.

izuku frowned before scooting closer to katsuki, his arms welcoming katsuki into a tight embrace.

katsuki accepted it, his fists balling up tightly into fists in the fabric as he held onto izuku tightly. he felt intense comfort in the embrace.

"why?" katsuki questioned shakily.

"what?" the other hummed.

"why are you doing this? you don't know me.. you're a king, with so much power... yet you're showing so much care.. for what reason? this is confusing for me." katsuki said.

izuku only hummed before releasing katsuki from the embrace, "why do i need a reason? if i care, then i care. it does not matter who you are or where you are from. all that matters is if you're okay. right now, i'm not a king, i'm just izuku. and izuku cares about katsuki."

katsuki's eyes widened as a mysterious yet hopeful glint filled them. "whatever." he scoffed, rolling his eyes.

izuku only giggled before repositioning as he was now closer to katsuki, his legs crossed in front of him in the large bed.

katsuki only picked at his finger tips as he suddenly felt a bit of an awkward weight on his back, telling him to speak up.

"you know.. i've told you about myself. even a secret... yet you haven't told me anything about yourself. unfair." katsuki said. izuku then smiled, tapping his chin as he looked up at nothingness.

"i'm very sheltered, y'know? i hardly am able to go outside. i don't have much to say." izuku admitted with a shrug.

katsuki only scoffed, "unbelievable. you have to have something." izuku only shrugged before a thought entered his head, "actually, i do have one."

the blond perked up, now giving izuku his undivided attention. "you know, today is actually my birthday." he explained calmly.

katsuki's eyes widened with surprise. "hah?! no way! where's the cake, food maybe - anything?" he gasped.

izuku only shook his head. "yes, i was born on this day. though, everyone's told me it's my coming of age ceremony, my crowning, etc... but sometimes i just want a simple 'happy birthday'. but no one sees that, or me as an actual human. just a past prince, a king." he explained with a shrug.

"oh, i see. if it makes you feel any better, to me, you're not that big of a deal." katsuki explained simply. izuku smiled at this, finally someone who didn't mindlessly praise him for royal blood.

"hey, wait - if you're just turning eighteen.. then i'm older than you!" katsuki said, sounding a bit too accomplished at this fact.

izuku furrowed his brows at this, "oh well, i'm still taller than you." he giggled, he was correct, towering over katsuki by a solid fifteen centimeters at least.

"oh hush. i haven't grown since i was sixteen. i can't get past one hundred and sixty-seven centimeters." katsuki rolled his eyes with feigned annoyance.

"yeah? after i had turned seventeen, i grew and i'm still growing. you're small." izuku teased, giggling like a child. though, this only earned him a pillow across the face.

"how dare you?" izuku gasped, grabbing a pillow to swing at katsuki as well. hence the start of their intense pillow fight, feathered pillows flying in the air as both giggles and thuds filled the air until izuku finally fell over, exhausted.

"i win!" katsuki shouted before cackling devilishly, earning a huff from izuku. "this time, yes. you won't next time, i swear it." the king giggled.

katsuki only clicked his teeth at this, "yeah ... sure." he said, his sentence interrupted by a heavy yawn. "are you tired?" izuku questioned.

"yes. i'm exhausted, honestly." katsuki admitted settling into the bed sinking into the comfortable duvet that was set on it.

izuku nodded, he himself was tired as well as he sunk into the duvet as well. katsuki flushed at this, was he going to be sleeping in the same bed as izuku?

he only rolled over, the space between them both large enough for katsuki to feel as if he were sleeping alone on such an unreasonably large bed.

izuku only giggled at the blond's awkward behavior before he cut the lights off in the room, the deep blue moonlight of the now ended day being the only source of light in the room.

it was dark and quiet, slightly comfortable.

that was until katsuki spoke once more.

"hey,"

"...hm?"

"happy birthday, izuku."