CHAPTER 26

"What do we know?" Wyatt asked as he sped along the road.

Adam glanced at his tablet before relaying the information.

"The call came in around seven thirty. A female who didn't want to be identified. She said she saw the woman on the news. The operator asked for the address. The caller gave the address and described Rose."

"The caller didn't say anything else?"

"After giving the address, they hung up."

That seemed a bit suspicious to Wyatt, but he knew the people calling in usually never cared for lengthy conversations. Most asked for a reward though.

"How sure are we that it's her?"

"From the description given, it sounds like her. But it could be another prank call," Adam warned.

Wyatt nodded.

He hoped this wasn't another prank call. He still didn't understand what one gained by calling and giving the police wrong information. Where was the fun in that? Especially since these hot lines didn't offer a reward. Why would someone go out of their way to make a false report?

"Let's hope we get lucky this time. We're running out of time to find her," Wyatt said, pressing the car to go faster.

It would be another ten minutes before they arrived, even at the pace he was driving at.

"Did you inform the agents?" Wyatt asked, suddenly remembering them.

It wasn't unusual he had forgotten them. He honestly spent most of his time not thinking about them. It wasn't like they were contributing anything useful to the case. For Agents from the National Intelligence Agency, they were completely useless. It would better if they left, and Wyatt was allowed to work on this case alone.

"I did. Chief insisted I did after I told him about the call. I called them after I called you."

"Are they meeting us there?"

Adam fumbled a bit.

"Uh, they said they would sit this one out," he mumbled.

"Is that really what they said?" Wyatt asked surprised.

They seemed so interested in every clue that he had found so far, he found it difficult to believe they would stay back now.

"Well, they said that they didn't want to be running after another tip that didn't pan out. They said to call them if something interesting popped up."

"So basically, they want me to do all their work for them and then they can come in and claim all the glory?"

Adam didn't respond. Wyatt didn't need him too. He knew that was exactly what the Agents were going to do.

He could grumble all he wanted about it, but he knew there was nothing he could do about it. They were in a higher rank than him. If they wanted him kicked off the case, they could have had that. But so far they had let him be. Mainly because he was solving the case for them.

Not that Wyatt cared. Well truthfully he cared a bit. But at the end of the day, once the killer was caught, he didn't care who claimed the glory.

Wyatt pulled into the rundown motel address. The exterior was covered in mold and weather-beaten white paint. He was sure the spot he was looking at was actually the wall, there was no more paint there. It was safe to say that the rates here would be something a mere criminal could afford.

"Did the caller say what room she saw Rose go in?" Wyatt asked, as he shut the car off.

"No. Only the address of the motel was given," Adam answered.