CHAPTER 32

"You're taking too fucking long," Wyatt argued.

It had been twenty minutes since they arrived outside Cassidy's house. Which meant it had been close to an hour since she first called.

The call had been cut so he had no idea what was happening now. Had Rose harmed them when she saw the phone call? Were Cassidy and her parents still alive?

"We need to have a proper plan of action," Agent Field argued.

"While you're thinking of a proper plan, Rose has four victims in that house, and we have no idea what she's doing to them. Come up with your plan a bit faster."

"I agree with Wyatt. I am letting you run this show, but you are taking far too long," Chief added.

Thank you, a voice of reason.

"We should get the boy out first," Agent Jones started.

"Not like that wasn't my plan," Wyatt mumbled.

Jones glared at him but didn't argue.

"Once the boy is out, we'll breach through the front, back and the patio door. The patio is closer to the living room where they seem to be."

So basically, it was Wyatt's plan. They had just wasted ten minutes so Jones could be an ass and show he was in charge. 

"Who's going in for Seth?" Wyatt questioned.

Jones pointed to a member of the SWAT team.

"Once he has the boy, he'll radio us, and we move. We'll split into three teams. Wyatt, you're on the front door."

He was about to argue but Chief gave him a look, so he quieted.

"Check your weapons. We're moving in two," Jones instructed as he was finished assigning everyone.

The SWAT team member slipped away into the darkness, heading to the back of the house.

Wyatt truly hoped that Seth was still in his room. The boy was too young to witness anything that Rose may have done to his parents and his sister.

He followed the other officers to the front door, pulling his gun out as he walked. He hoped he didn't have reason to use it, but there was no way of knowing how Rose would react. She had to know the police were here by now. Cassidy's call would have given her a heads-up.

Would Rose have harmed Cassidy and her family already? Was this no longer a rescue mission?

They all waited in silence for the cue to go forward. The seconds ticked by slowly, each one making Wyatt question why it was taking so long.

"I have the boy. Repeat, the boy is safe," the message came through the air piece.

"About time," Wyatt breathed out softly.

"We move on my mark," another SWAT agent said.

Wyatt double checked his gun again.

"Three. Two. One. Execute. Execute. Execute."

The front door was slammed open, and the officers rushed in.

Wyatt was in the middle of the pack, so he moved forward along with the others checking the area as they walked.

"Back door, clear."

"Front door, clear."

"Hostile in living room. She's armed."

The officers burst into the living room and Wyatt had to take a second to take in the sight before him.

Martha was on the couch, her eyes drooping close as blood seeped from her leg. Leon was on the floor, his abdomen bleeding and showing no signs of consciousness.