CHAPTER 4

Wyatt's abrupt departure from the bakery, as well as knowing they had found the suspect, was what had Cassidy walking through the Mayberry Station's entrance for the second time in five days.

Before this, she couldn't remember the last time she had been to a police station. Maybe after the house fire. There had been a lot of activity that night aside from the fire and smoke. There were police officers, fire men, social workers and the inquisitive neighbours who just wanted to be nosy.

That night wasn't something Cassidy could forget but it was something she tried her best not to think about. Aside from losing her parents that night, it had also been the last time she had seen Rose. She'd lost everything in one night.

She walked up to the information desk, trying not to be intimidated by the officer sitting behind it. There was a scowl on the officer's face and she looked as though she could shred Cassidy into pieces with only her words.

"What can I help you with?" the officer asked, rather gruffly.

She mustered up her courage and faced the officer.

"I'm looking for Detective Wyatt Long."

The officer looked over Cassidy. From her black sandals to her faded jeans and black crop top. Her hair was still in the bun from work this morning because Cassidy hadn't felt like letting it down, mainly because she had barely brushed it that morning.

"Why you looking for him?" the officer inquired.

"It's about a case he's working on."

There was a pause while the woman looked over Cassidy again before she picked up the desk phone. She punched in some numbers and spoke to someone quickly, never taking her eyes off Cassidy.

Had officers always been this mean and gruff? Detective Wyatt and Jones had seemed rather nice, even when they were telling her lies. They hadn't been as mean as this woman.

She waited a few minutes before Detective Wyatt came.

"Cassidy," he said, walking towards her.

Her eyes took in his disheveled hair as he walked towards her. It was like he had run his hand through it – multiple times.

"Detective," she said smiling. "I brought a peace offering."

She held up the cupcakes in her hand. He looked at them curiously.

"Peace offering?" he asked.

"For the way I treated you this morning. I was a bit harsh. I took my frustration of not finding my sister out on you."

He smiled softly at her.

"It's no problem. I'm used to it actually."

"Used to people treating you like crap?" she asked incredulously.

Because that was how she had treated him that morning. Rose being a suspect wasn't his fault and her not finding Rose also wasn't his fault. But she had no one else to blame and Detective Wyatt had showed up in front of her. It was like the universe telling her, look here's someone to be mean to.

She knew she was wrong though. She had the entire day to think over how she had acted that morning. If she was being honest, her behaviour had made her feel ashamed. The detectives were doing everything they could to find Rose. Sure their intentions were not the same as hers, but finding Rose was the important thing.

"It comes with the territory. What is that delicious smelling object in your hand?"

"I brought cupcakes," she answered tentatively, biting her lip.