CHAPTER 38

"You got everything you needed right?" Cassidy asked the Agents as she stormed into the room.

Her feet were itching to take her away from this place.

All eyes turned to her. She was sure she was a sight to behold. Some of the tears had been wiped away, but she could still feel moisture on her cheeks. The shock of the night was finally catching up to her and the flood banks were open now.

"We did. Thank you for your help Miss Monte," Chief answered, standing.

He didn't try to approach her, but there was a concerned look on his face.

"I can leave now?" she asked, her hands hitting her thighs.

Everything was screaming at her to turn and walk away as fast as she could and never look back again. To forget everything she had just heard.

"Yes. I'm sure you want to get back to your family. We'll call you with any updates."

Cassidy nodded; not sure she could form any more sentences. She needed some to get out of the station and get some fresh air.

Her feet moved as quickly as they could to get her out of the station and into the cold crisp night. Except it was no longer night. She could see the sun peaking over the horizon, rays of sunlight illuminating the dark streets.

One of the worse nights of her life was finally over. It really was a competition between tonight and the night of the fire. Cassidy scoffed at her thoughts.

Who was she kidding? Tonight was definitely the worst night of her life. What could top her sister trying to kill her and her adoptive parents and then confessing to killing their biological parents and a whole lot of other people? Nothing. Nothing could ever top tonight.

She tried to pull in as much air as she could. Her lungs felt as though they had shrunk and she had been suffocating inside the interrogation room. All the shock must have been too much for her.

"Cassidy," a voice called.

She didn't have to turn to know it was Wyatt. She wasn't sure she wanted to see him at the moment, but there was no way to avoid him now.

He caught up to her and stood before her, his face filled with concern and sympathy.

"Are you okay?" he asked her.

Cassidy shook her head.

"I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be okay again," she answered honestly.

The sun rays moved over Cassidy, covering her in its light. Even though it was supposed to be warm, nothing could melt the ice that had formed inside her. She still felt cold standing in the middle of the sunshine.

"Do you want me to give you a ride back to the hospital?"

She shook her head.

As messed up as it was, right now she couldn't even bare to see Wyatt. Wyatt who had been there for her through everything. Right now all she wanted was to be as far away as possible.

"I'll take a cab," she answered.

"Are you sure? I can drive you back."

"I just need a moment to be alone."

He nodded reluctantly.

"Let me get a cab for you."

He hailed a cab for her and waited until she was seated.

"I'll visit later," he said before closing the door.

Cassidy nodded. He smiled softly at her and waved as the cab drove off. She didn't have the energy to raise her hand to wave back. Everything in her felt dead. How does someone move on from the events she had experienced tonight?