CHAPTER 36

"And my parents? Would killing them save you as well?" Cassidy asked, the exhaustion clear in her voice.

She was tired. The events of the night and her conversation with Rose was taking its toll on her. All she wanted right now was her parents and her bed.

But she needed to know. If she didn't get answers from Rose tonight, she would wonder for the rest of her life what had been the motives behind Rose's actions. And that was no way to live a life. Hell she wasn't even sure how she was supposed to go on with her life right now.

Even though she hated every single minute of it, Cassidy needed to know. Rose had to answer for everything she had done.

"They needed to die," Rose answered, her voice hard.

"Because they didn't adopt you?"

"Yes."

"That's not a good enough reason to kill an entire family," Cassidy shouted at her, unable to control her emotions.

"Of course you're on their side," Rose sneered.

"This isn't about sides. You were about to kill an innocent couple because they didn't adopt you. How can you possibly think that that is a good enough reason to kill someone?"

Cassidy's fear was momentarily replaced by her anger. She couldn't help her outburst. Seeing Rose sit here and justify her actions was making Cassidy's blood boil with fury.

"Because of them I had to go back to another man who thought I was a punching bag," Rose screamed.

"That wasn't their fault!" Cassidy shouted back at her.

"Yes it was!" Rose screamed.

She pulled at her handcuffs making the chains rattle against the table. Cassidy paused for a second before she realized there was no way Rose could get lose.

"You're blaming them for something they had no control over. How were they to know what kind of couple would adopt you? Surely you can see that there was nothing they could have done," Cassidy tried to explain, calming her voice.

But the fury in Rose's eyes didn't dissipate. Cassidy was slowly realizing that it didn't matter what she said – Rose wasn't going to let go of her anger.

To her, she was right. And that train of thought is what she used to justify her crimes.

"Why kill the other people then?" Cassidy asked suddenly, going for a confession.

A hint of confusion entered Rose's eyes.

"The other families that you killed. Why kill them? Martha and Leon left you there, so I understand why you want them dead. What about the other families? What did they ever do to you?"

Cassidy expected more anger, but instead Rose laughed. Again her mood switched instantly.

"Is that what you're curious about? Why I killed the other families?"

Cassidy nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

"I don't have a reason," Rose answered with a broad smile.

"What do you mean you don't have a reason?"

"I told you back at the house. I did it because it was fun. Seeing the blood draining out of someone. Watching the knife plunge in and come out filled with red."

Rose's eyes gleamed as she talked. She really did enjoy it. Even just talking about it, it was clear she liked it. The tone of her voice, the expression on her face – it was one of joy.

"Why families? You were so specific, boy then girl and all on the same date."

"I told you. The girls in the prison told me it's more fun when you have a pattern. One of the girls told me about how she led the police by their balls for a year. They weren't able to catch her at all. She taught me all of her tricks."