CHAPTER 17

Wyatt turned to face Cassidy immediately, ready to explain himself realizing how the situation may appear, but he could already see the look of betrayal that crossed her face. She thought he had planned the entire thing. That he knew Jones had been listening to the entire conversation. But he hadn't.

The main point of using this room was to avoid anyone listening into the conversation. He had wanted a minute alone with Cassidy to just sit and talk to her and put together as many puzzle pieces as he could.

He knew Cassidy was innocent. And he was doing his damn best to prove it. Jones was ruining everything.

"Agent Jones. When did you get back?" Wyatt asked, trying his best to keep the anger out of his voice.

"In time to hear Ms. Monte confess to having a rough upbringing."

Jones' face was in a shit-eating grin. He looked so pleased with himself as though he had just accomplished some great feat.

"Her upbringing doesn't mean she committed murder," Wyatt argued, his tone harsh.

He couldn't hold back his anger anymore. Jones was making some absurd assumptions with no real information to back it.

"No, it doesn't. But it does help with the case we're building. Good thing I got here in time and turned on the camera. Why were you having an interrogation with the camera off?" he asked, suspiciously.

"Must have forgotten," Wyatt muttered, looking away.

He turned to Cassidy and saw she was looking at him. He pleaded with his eyes for her to believe him. This was not the way he wanted this situation to go. Not turning on the camera had been part of his plan.

"Sure, you did," Jones answered, clearly not believing him.

Heavy footsteps sounded in the corridor and Adam came bounding into the room.

"Wyatt! The Agents –" he paused seeing Jones already in the room.

"A bit late, aren't you?" Jones mocked. "Take her back to her cell," he ordered.

Adam nodded and stepped forward to face Cassidy. He re-cuffed her and led her out of the room.

"And you," he said, pointing to Wyatt. "We're going to Chief Potts."

"Lead the way," Wyatt answered, showing no fear.

He knew he wasn't supposed to have interrogations or question Cassidy without the Agents present. They were supposed to be appraised of any questioning and be present in the room. However, not only had he questioned her without anyone knowing, he had even turned off the camera. He was going to get an earful from Chief.

Jones knocked on Chief's door and went straight in, without waiting for a reply.

Chief looked up and motioned for us to wait as he was on a phone call.

"Yes sir. We're doing our best. Yes, there is a suspect in custody. The evidence against her are circumstantial at best and we're checking her alibi. We're waiting on the autopsy report before we make any other decisions. There is plenty of press on this case, so we want to make sure we get it right. Yes, I'll speak to Jones," Chief said, eyeing Jones.

This didn't look like a pleasant conversation. The man on the other end was speaking loud enough for Wyatt to catch snippets and it did not sound like praise.

"I'll keep you updated sir. Good day."

Chief hung up and threw the phone on the table. He massaged his temples and took off his glasses before facing the two men before him.