CHAPTER 37

"What are you talking about?" Cassidy asked confused.

Rose wasn't making any sense. Cassidy was sure she would have remembered seeing her sister kill someone.

"Ask me the question," Rose said, smiling.

"I don't want to know," Cassidy answered, her hands gripping the chair.

It was a lie of course. Everything in her was demanding the truth.

"Tell us what you're talking about," Wyatt demanded.

"Not unless Cassidy asks the question. Say the magic words," Rose laughed.

She was teasing them. She knew she had piqued their interest and that they were dying for the truth.

Cassidy turned to Wyatt, not sure what to do. She didn't want to hear about it, but a small part of her also wanted to know the truth.

"Ask her," Wyatt said softly.

His eyes conveyed his next message, 'I'm here for you'.

Cassidy turned back to Rose and steeled herself. It was clear that whatever Rose was going to say next was not going to be pleasant. She took a seat in the chair – her shaking legs wouldn't have been able to hold her up for much longer.

"Who were your first victims?" Cassidy asked cautiously.

She tried her best to keep her voice calm, but the nerves inside her stomach were not calming down one bit.

Rose smiled at her teasingly.

"Do you really want to know?"

She wasn't sure honestly.

"You're supposed to know who my first victims were Cassie. You were there that night. Did you forget?" Rose taunted.

"What are you talking about?" Cassidy asked extremely confused.

"Do you never wonder how we got out of the house fire?" Rose questioned.

"The fire?" Cassidy asked, thrown by the sudden change in subject. What did the house fire have to do with her first victims?

"What about the fire?"

"I'm sure you've heard them say it and read the reports. The firemen found us outside the house, with no idea how we got there."

"They said someone must have taken us out," Cassidy recalled. That was the story the police had told her when she had woken up in the hospital.

"Someone took us out and left our parents there to die? Why did no one try to save them as well. Have you ever thought about that? Think about that night Cassie. Do you remember what happened?"

Cassidy usually kept those memories buried under lock and key – which seemed like the appropriate place for them.

"Do you not remember what happened that day?" Rose asked.

"We got our test results that day," Cassidy said softly, unlocking her memories one by one. She didn't want to be bombarded with all the dark and horrible things that had happened in her past.

"You do remember. What happened after?" Rose hinted.

"You came first, but I came second. Dad said I was worthless. That I was dumb and that a beating would knock some sense into me. He blamed you for not teaching me properly. He beat us that night."

Cassidy stared at the her hands on the table as she recalled that night. The last time she had allowed herself to think about it had been in therapy. It was one of those many things in her childhood she hated to think about.