CHAPTER 16

The holding cell Cassidy had been placed in was also home to two other women, who looked at Cassidy as though she was fresh meat.

"What are you in for?" one of the woman pounced on her as soon as she entered.

The woman was dressed in rags. Her clothes were so torn it barely covered her legs or her arms. It gave a clear view of the tattoos that covered her entire arm. Cassidy had always been intrigued by sleeve tattoos. Not something she would do herself, but something she liked to admire.

"False charges," Cassidy muttered.

No way was she going to say she was in for murder. She hadn't actually committed the crime.

"What kind of false charges?" the other woman asked. Her ear was pierced multiple times and she had a rocker vibe, with her leather jacket and biker boots.

"The kind I don't want to talk about," Cassidy answered, taking a seat on the bench in the corner.

She was a bit scared talking to the women like this, but she didn't want to come off as weak. She wanted to show she was strong.

Both women shared a look before they spoke again.

"Get comfortable," biker woman warned.

---

Sleeping in a holding cell was not the best experience. She didn't remember it being this horrible when she had gotten arrested the first time. But then again, back then she had been full of spirit about what she had been protesting for. She couldn't remember what it was at this moment though.

She tread to the sink and splashed some water on her face. The person staring back at her in the mirror had red eyes and unruly hair. Cassidy ran her fingers through her hair, trying to look like a person. There was nothing she could do about her eyes.

Tried as she might last night, she could barely get any sleep. It wasn't the fact that the bench was hard, or even that the room was cold, it was because her brain couldn't shut up. Everything that had happened the day before had flashed through her mind. From being arrested to her DNA being at the scene. Nothing made sense to her and she didn't know what to do.

"Monte, you have a visitor," a guard shouted.

Cassidy looked towards the bars and saw Adam standing there.

"What can I do for you Adam?" she asked as she pulled her hair into a pony.

"I'm here to take you for questioning," he replied, a small smile on his face.

"Great, but I don't think seeing Agent Jones is the best way to start the morning," Cassidy grumbled.

Adam laughed.

"It really isn't."

The guard unlocked the gate and pulled Cassidy out. He cuffed her hands again and then shoved her to Adam. He was treating her like the killer he thought she was.

"Let's get you cleaned up," Adam said and led her out of the room.

He led her to a bathroom and gave her a bag.

"There's some things for you to freshen up a bit," he said.

She thanked him and walked into the bathroom. Brushing her teeth while handcuffed proved difficult but she got the deed done. There was some perfume in the bag as well. A shower was out of the options, so she sprayed a bit to mask the scent of the holding cell.

Adam waited patiently for her and then led her through the station. They didn't come across anyone else as they made their trek down the corridor. It wasn't the same room as the previous interrogation, Cassidy noted. This wasn't the same route.